V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, I know this may be a really stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it just to be safe.

Picked up the bike last night ('03 FLSTFi) and whenever I shifted gears, I would hear a loud clunk of it hitting gear. Didn't know if this was normal or not. The clutch is pretty hard to squeeze too, but I just kinda assumed that it was normal. My Dad was driving the car behind me as I rode home and even he noticed the clunk and that it seemed to be really loud. Is it supposed to be like that??

Thanks in advance for the info. Here is a pic, it is pretty bad, but the only one I could get last night 'cause the battery on my Digital Camera was dead:

p.s. ok, so i can't figure out how to put the same pic up in more than one thread. if anyone cares to let me know, I'll appreciate it :)

--John

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice bike. I don't think the "clunk" should be loud enough to hear in the car behind you! Harley's do have a distinct sound when shifting gears, but not objectionable in my opinion. Kinda hard to explain. The clutch should operate easily, with 2 fingers. Not as smooth as a Honda but close.
I would run it by the dealer. And shift very deliberately while it is being broke in.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
In my opinion both things are normal for a new bike with a "new to harleys" rider. The noise will smooth out some by itself and a lot if you change fluids to synthetics when it's time. the clutch will seem stiff if you are not used to it and don't do anything on a daily basis that would build your grip up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I've ridden sport bikes in college and a couple of Harleys (admittedly not very much) and I never really had a problem with the clutch. If this makes sense to anyone here, here is a kinda rambling story that explains how it feels: I was out with a friend of mine who wants to buy a crotch rocket. I sat on one of the bikes, pulled the clutch in, and could barely get it all the way in. The salesman turned a little dial on the clutch and I then had no problem pulling it in. The clutch last night felt a lot like the rice rocket clutch before turning that little dial. I don't know... it may be perfectly normal, just seemed like awfully tight to me.

About the clunk, I'm sure it will smoothen out a bit, but it really did sound like it was almost slamming into gear. I got kinda the same sound as when you shift a car without using the clutch. Not the grinding gears noise, but if you jam it into gear at the right moment. (blew out a clutch in the middle of no where once. glad I knew how to listen to the engine and feel the natural shift points. Also, I was playing around a little showing my mom how to shift a bike at home later. With the bike running but not moving, and the clutch in the whole time, the first shift into first clunked, but then shifting to second, into first, neutral, then first again, there was no clunk. it just slid into gear. I dunno. I'm basically a newbie to these wonderful machines. But I'll trust ya'll if you say it is normal and just build up my left forearm :)

anyways, thanks all

--John

·
Registered
171 Posts
Teke963 ....the first thing you want to do is get out to the garage and pull them ugly ass reflectors off the bike!!!!! and those orange ugly ass turn signal lenses need to go!! Harley makes clear or smoked lenses in kit form. (one of the very few things you'll need to buy at the dealer)
Then you can "ride" !!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same "klunk" in my FLSTS. I read something in a road test on a Harley that described the shifting as "agricultural". I think it summed it up quite nicely.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.