V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the heck do you get the stock shifter peg off? It is on so tight I am afraid I am going to break the whole shifting arm off. Anyone have any tricks?

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
bbradley said:
How in the heck do you get the stock shifter peg off? It is on so tight I am afraid I am going to break the whole shifting arm off. Anyone have any tricks?
Cut the rubber part off then use a pair of vice-grips to turn it. If it still won't turn then you can try heating it up with a torch. Someone may have used red loctite during the install, which can be a PITA to remove.

·
Into the Sunset...
12 Posts
I used a propane torch on mine last night after making about 3 rounds with that stupid rubber piece and channel locks. A little heat with the torch and it came right out with the channel locks.

Nathan

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Heat it up and it will come right off. They use Red Loctite on the damm things from the factory. Used to be a common part to fall off a Harley. They corrected the problem with RED.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Is it ok to use Blue loctite when installing a new shifter peg? Or do I have to use Red? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
not if you're carefull. It doesnt take a lot of heat to wake the loctite up so dont go crazy with it, just bring it up slow. You may mess up the peg.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Heat probably helps, but I've taken off dozens with nothing but channel locks. Just grab it and twist.

·
onemorethatsit
69 Posts
I did mine with a little heat and vice grips. I recomend using the red on the new one I started with blue and had to tighten it up twice in 300 miles.
JP

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
If you use heat,, put it on the back side just a little at a time right to the back of the stud and twist at the same time shouldn't take much,, the old peg will be a throw away when your done, and if you never plan on changin it again go with red loctite cause it won't come loose again and hell may never come off again,, hehehe,, good luck

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
So you guys throw away the rear shifter. Why? Keeps the toe of the shoes from getting scuffed. Are your feet that large that it's in the way. I wear size 12's and I'm fine.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I run an extended heel lever on my Train. It works well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts