V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Yes, a picture would be nice.
I have a hard time understanding how , if the pinch bolt is tight, one could stomp down on the rear shifter arm hard enough to break it and not damage other components in the trans. Seems like something else should break after "countless" times.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It's a good thing the shift lever is aluminum and the splined shaft is steel. But really, doesn't the shaft have a groove in it where the pinch bolt sits? That would make it impossible to come off unless the bolt is missing right? By "gone" does the OP mean they break off? Old school (not HS) the fix would be to run a longer pinch bolt all the way through the lever and put a lock nut on the end of it. I suppose he could also safety wire it on too. But in the end, if "Frankenstein" wants to do "the mash" on it (mmmnnn, mash good) there's no teaching an old dog new tricks.
By the way, I graduated with enough credits at the end of the 11th grade so maybe there was a 12th grade comprehension class I missed and you took twice. Again, just funnin....
I'm thinkin' he's heel shifting and those aluminum teeth loosen and wear with the stomping over time so no matter how tight you get the pinch bolt, it just gets worse.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks but they can teach themselves.
Someone said "roll it in" I like that.

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
I think he ought to get a piece of angle iron with a couple tabs welded on with a hole drilled in the middle there abouts. Maybe a nail hammered in the heel of his boot would make for softer shifts. Mebbe his transmission is already fukd up and he has to stomp it into gear.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Even if he's stripping the threads out on the aluminum shift lever it would just spin on the shaft right? The bolt keeps it from sliding off in most cases. I've never seen anyone break a shift lever. Like the OP said "gone". That means it's missing. How does it come off if the bolt is in it? Tell me HD stopped making the shift rod without a groove for the bolt. Every one I've ever seen fall off did so because the bolt came out.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Maybe the poster means the shifter peg (did someone already say that?).
I lost one going down my hill and went for a downshift and... Ruh, Roh!! Luckily I was going slow.
I bought it used and did not check if it was Loc-tited.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Maybe the poster means the shifter peg (did someone already say that?).
I lost one going down my hill and went for a downshift and... Ruh, Roh!! Luckily I was going slow.
I bought it used and did not check if it was Loc-tited.

OP says: "We have bought countless rear shifter arms and pegs,"

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand what she is talking about. I also ride using highway pegs and shift and brake with my heels on the mid controls. I have never broke a peg though.
Maybe a conversion to floor boards with a heel toe shifter would be better for him

·
not sober all the time
5,521 Posts
Well, he or she hasn't been back to talk about it so it must not be important or maybe it was a troll.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts