V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my shifter pegs this morning. The old pegs had red locktite and were a bear to get off. I put blue locktite on the new pegs. Anyone know if the blue locktite will be work sufficiently, or do I need to remove bolts and put red locktite on the bolts?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had mine secured with the blue for about a year and a half...no problems.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I will now not think about it any further. I will just sit here, watch the snow and cold, and dream of Spring.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
wehohl said:
I just changed my shifter pegs this morning. The old pegs had red locktite and were a bear to get off. I put blue locktite on the new pegs. Anyone know if the blue locktite will be work sufficiently, or do I need to remove bolts and put red locktite on the bolts?
Red is good if you never want to take them off again - as you found out. Otherwise, blue is fine.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
wehohl said:
The old pegs had red locktite
Was this the stock peg? I'm going to be changing mine out soon. Hope it doesn't have red from the factory. That would suck...

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was this the stock peg? I'm going to be changing mine out soon. Hope it doesn't have red from the factory. That would suck...
Yes, they were stock. I took off shift lever and used vise grips to remove bolt. It was only slightly a pain. It did come off after a little muscle. I removed shift lever because I was worried about bending it. Not really that bad at all.

·
onemorethatsit
69 Posts
Like the others said blue should be fine however you may want to check it once in a while, I guess the first time I put mine on I did not have enough lock tite on and one day I went to downshift and the peg did a spin. I put on more lock tite and reassembled it and have not had a problem since. I agree it took a little muscle and some vise grips to break loose the original but I did'nt bend or break anything, a heat gun would have helped.
JP

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
wehohl said:
Thanks for the info. I will now not think about it any further. I will just sit here, watch the snow and cold, and dream of Spring.
It's only supposed to get up to 72 degrees here tomorrow....so I guess we'll go for a ride to Pensacola Beach for a cold beer at the Sandshaker. May even wear a long sleeve shirt. Don't mean to run it in. I do know Buffalo is a beautiful place to cruise...once you dig out.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
pa-glazier said:
Heat will release the red Locktite.
Yes, but how much heat? Will a regular hair dryer set on High do it? Or do I need something more powerful?

Maybe take the shifter lever off all together and stick the entire assembly in the oven for a couple minutes (obviously without any plastic/rubber parts still on it)... but at what temp?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe take the shifter lever off all together and stick the entire assembly in the oven for a couple minutes (obviously without any plastic/rubber parts still on it)... but at what temp?
You do not need to put in oven. Vise Grips will work ok.

It's only supposed to get up to 72 degrees here tomorrow....so I guess we'll go for a ride to Pensacola Beach for a cold beer at the Sandshaker. May even wear a long sleeve shirt. Don't mean to run it in. I do know Buffalo is a beautiful place to cruise...once you dig out.
Thanks for not rubbing it in. As I sit here listening to the snow plow go buy, I can see me sitting at the bar next to you having a beer. Oh well, a pleasant dream anyway. I notice you are in the USMC. Thanks for your service.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
petrock said:
Yes, but how much heat? Will a regular hair dryer set on High do it? Or do I need something more powerful?

Just cut the rubber part off and then use some vice grips to turn the peg. Heating it shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
141 Posts
petrock said:

Just put it in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Will come off easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts