V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wire up a Raptor shift light to a dyna? Wondering how you did it and how it's working before doing mine.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I didn't use the Raptor but had an unused "event" light on my AFR gauge. Bought and installed a Dynatek Shift Minder, wired it per instructions for power and ground and lead for the event light. Tricky bit was getting the right connector for the pin 3 tap off of the ECU for tach output. Ordered it from a Dealer parts Dept. Piece of cake after that, set the rpm trip point and we are all done. Works great.

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/drag_mindersystem.htm

Looks like the Raptor has the Shift Minder built in. You'll just have to figure out where to pickup switched power, ground, tach signal and then where to locate the shift light and run the wire to it.

You'll want to set the shift light rpm a little bit low by a couple of hundred rpm. In 1st gear, you get to the shift light real quick.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totenkopf,

Thanks! So - you got the tach feed right off the ECU and I can probably follow the tach feed back to the ECU, buy the connector from the dealer, then connect directly in to the ECU via the pin... News at 11.

GC

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Totenkopf,

Thanks! So - you got the tach feed right off the ECU and I can probably follow the tach feed back to the ECU, buy the connector from the dealer, then connect directly in to the ECU via the pin... News at 11.

GC
On my '05 efi bike, it was pin 3 on the ECU, which is unused. Check the owners manual electrical diagram to verify for your model. If the Tach Send is off of the ECU like mine is, any dealer that has been installing Tachs knows the p/n for the ECU pins and they probably have them in stock.

As you already know, having a shift light in your field of vision is way more useful than staring at a Tach trying to "read" it when all hell is breaking loose. ;)

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Totenkopf said:
On my '05 efi bike, it was pin 3 on the ECU, which is unused. Check the owners manual electrical diagram to verify for your model. If the Tach Send is off of the ECU like mine is, any dealer that has been installing Tachs knows the p/n for the ECU pins and they probably have them in stock.

As you already know, having a shift light in your field of vision is way more useful than staring at a Tach trying to "read" it when all hell is breaking loose. ;)
Amen to that! Thanks again Tote.

GC

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed the Digital UltraShift light from StewartWarner on my 99 Nighttrain AutoMeter also has a simular ShiftLight. Both are 1-5/8"dia. and have a Digital tach with LED shift Lights and options from std shift light with peak RPM to shift counter.
Mine had a three wire hookup (R-B-G) hooks up like the MOCO tach then program the ign.pulses.
Ordered it thru Summit Racing for about $134.00 Shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts