V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Y2K Ultra with 13,000 mi and I had to replace the shift levers and shaft due to excessive wear. The teeth were worn down to nothing in some areas. I maintain the bike and am pretty light on the shift pressure when shifting. Anyone else had to replace these parts with so little miles and is it a comman thing with HD? Any recommendations on aftermarket parts that might last a little longer. This is my first Harley. Thanks...

·
Registered
684 Posts
There are a few threads from several months ago that talked about this. If the shift lever came loose, blue loctite was used. Some folks had even drilled and inserted locking pins (or something else to that effect).

If you can't find the threads mentioned, let me know and I'll track them down for you.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The problem is caused by either excessive use of the foot in up-shifting or down-shifting or loose levers to start with.

Only other reason would be shoddy lever or splined piece.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yup, mine is loose now too on my '01 Ultra

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found those old threads and got great advise for the repair. I will take HIPPO's advise and bath the new parts with red locktite and remove the heel shifter. Thanks everybody for the replies.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I was getting ready to fix the toe shifter today and I must have caught it early because I tightened it and now it's snug. I guess I just have to keep an eye on it from now on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was on a HOG rally this past week up in Canada, driving along one of their interstates when I felt a lot of vibration against my left boot. Looked down and the shift levers were out about an inch and the shift linkage was flopping around like a hooked fish. drifted over to the side of the road and say that the shift lever on the inner side of the primary had come loose from the lever shaft. A quick roadside repair and I was back on my way. Still haven't figured out how that happened as I thought the bolt fit into the milled depression on the shaft and wouldn't allow the lever to come off without removing the bolt.

Just got back home today and will tear it all down tomorrow to see what the scoop is.
Ken

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
alremc said:
and remove the heel shifter.
This is the first bike I've owned with a heel shifter.
In fact, on this bike its the first time I've used one! :eek:
I think its TOO cool for words, I'd rather weld the bloody thing together and keep that option! :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
My shifters don't get loose very often, but the other damn end won't stay tight. The arm on the other end of that shaft always comes loose. I put a set screw in the top of it and that helps, but loctite or not, it always works loose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The secret (thanks to Hippo) is to bath those splines in GREEN Locktite from the time they're new. The heel shifter does more to put additional stress on the transmission shift arm. I removed mine. Use a Hydraulic primary chain tensioner for easier shifts.

Cheers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts