V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came off big mileage this past weekend in the nasty weather we had in mid-atlantic region and noticed that the shift lever didn't "bounce back" like it should. At first I thought it was all the gunk on the bike so I cleaned it; then checked the fluid and had to add some. It works a little better after if warms up but still not like it should. First thought is the spring inside transmission is out of line (oh yea - low sided it at approx 30 mph while straight and level (guessing oil or diesel spot - it was dark and raining) with only damage on bottom of right engine guard and right saddle bag guard) - any suggestions on how to get the "bounce" back? I thought about adjusting the linkage lever. If that doesn't work its into the transmission but I rather not go in if I don't have to.

Salty

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I'm assuming heel/toe only here.

Did you check to see if the linkage was bent any?

Did you remove the front bolt of it and see if the shifter is moving freely, and the linkage moves freely.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Undo the linkage right at the shift arm on the transmission and see if the shifter and the linkage operate smoothly. Check the operation of the shift arm on the transmission separately too. This will narrow down where the binding condition is being caused.
If the shifter and linkage bind, try to lube the shifter shaft and heim joints.
If the shifter arm on the transmission does not "bounce back" = broken shifter return spring inside the transmission!

Good luck,

Brad

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the (foot) shift lever doesn't return at all, it's most likely a broken shift-pawl return spring inside the tranny. Dropping your ride probably wouldn't cause this. If it's just "sluggish" returning, then the linkage or shift arm on tranny could be bent. Disconnect the linkage at the shift arm and work the shift arm by hand. It should return freely to it's "static" position.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All sound advice which I will apply tonight. Appreciate the time. To answer direct questions - yes heel/toe; linkage not bent; have not removed any bolts but will based on all input above. Gotta love this list...

Thanks,
Salty

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very common problem. There is nothing broken/bent - as MegaGlide suggests, you just need to remove the shift lever and lube the shaft on which it rotates. Mine was recurring enough where I had the shop actually shave down (ever so slightly) the contact area. If you do some creative searching (try "shifter return spring") you'll find lots of information - including a post of mine entitled "tranny question".

Invariably, there are always a lot of responses speculating broken internal parts, but it (almost) always comes back to the friction issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Well lube is a good place to start.. But I'm going to say its either the Detent Spring in the tranny or the shifter barrel center adjustment ( that little allen screw) that sticks out on the left side of the tranny..Good Luck

Seeya:xhere:
OldWrench

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bounce is Back

Took the shift levers off, pulled the shaft (which took some tugging and twisting), sanded shaft some to get the gunk off, lubed it up - she works like a champ - thanks to all.

Salty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Salty said:
Took the shift levers off, pulled the shaft (which took some tugging and twisting), sanded shaft some to get the gunk off, lubed it up - she works like a champ - thanks to all.

Salty
See I told ya.... :roflback: Not!!

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,775 Posts
wow just get out the wd40 that will fixer it . so what your all saying is you don't have a clue
What they all were saying, 13 YEARS AGO, was ideas for things to try and/or look into which is all somebody on the other end of an internet connection can really do. If you read the thread you'll see he actually fixed the problem with a little sanding and lubing, so I'm wondering who it really is that doesn't have a clue here.

Have you actually tried to DO anything to fix your issue or just complain about it out loud? You might think that complaining louder will fix it but all it really does is make folks less likely to want to offer help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts