V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran into a guy with a 100th anniv. version last weekend. This was the first V-Rod I have heard with the factory original pipes (mine had the SE's from day one) and OUCH! I can see what all the complaining is about. I had no Idea they were that silent. Silent is a much better description than quiet. My SE's have been getting progressivly deeper and louder as I rack up the miles (3700 so far) and I am very satisfied with them. I wouldn't even think about aftermarkets with all of the reported performance issues.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Do you have the SE slip-on's or double barrels???

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree, I have the SE slip on's and mine is getting a nice deep sound and when you crack on it, it does sound off.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
just thought I'd add an interesting story along that line:

I was out riding with 2 other guys last weekend. One on an SE WideGlide and the other on a SE 1200 sporty, me on a VR. At one point after following a line of about 3-4 cars for a few miles following behind an old guy with lawnmower in his trunk, the 3 of us gunned it to pass the lot. In front making a lot of noise was the sporty, behind him was my stock pipes purring like a vacuume cleaner, and lastly was the WG 1400 roaring . As we went by, and of course we were moving, we each saw about 2 cars back the left turn signal of a big old sedan flashing. As the WG passed it, in our mirrors we all saw the sedan turn left just after the WG went by. Afterwards we were sitting at stop light shaking our heads about our good luck, but the one question we all had was if my bike had been last would the driver still had heard me coming? I'll be glad when my double barrels are installed. I think I may have been lucky once.

·
Registered
149 Posts
WAY too quiet, definately a safety issue with me, I WANT them to hear me out there! Double barrels are on order.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts