V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a 08 Ultra Classic, same year and model as mine. He asked me to take it for a ride to see if I could tell where a certain noise is coming from.

The noise happens (or is noticeable) around 20 mph in 2nd gear. It sounds pretty much like a kinked speedometer cable would sound as it turned in the cable housing. Shh, shh, shh, shh, shh, shh it goes.

I can not hear it at higher speeds but it may be there but becomes a constant shhshhhshhhshhhshhhshhhshh? It is not real loud and if it is there at higher speeds it does not get louder.

Don't know if it could be the belt, the clutch, the stator, etc. but thought maybe someone has heard the same noise with their bike. And maybe they were able to nail it down as to what it is.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
At that speed, it would be best to find an empty parking lot, get the bike up to speed, pull the clutch and kill the engine.
If the noise does not go away, then you have eliminated the powertrain for the most part.
Then do it again, this time with a friend in a car next to you, have them listen for the noise top get an idea of front or rear, high or low.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Brake rotor would be my guess as well. Pretty common.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The bike is telling you to keep quiet ?

Sorry, couldn't help so had to tell a joke.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I had a noise like that once ended up being the wires that ran to the front fender light rubbing against the sidewall.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I hear the same noise on my Street Glide sometimes. One of my front brake rotors is slightly warped - pretty common with Harley rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike is telling you to keep quiet ?

Sorry, couldn't help so had to tell a joke.
Actually his bike was much quieter with Rinehart true duals than mine is with Vance and Hines true duals. I expected the Rineharts to be louder. :confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are your Brake pads the copper style? If so the noise is the pads! Change them to Kevlar pads and noise will disappear just like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts