V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading the latest American Iron magazine and in it one of the tech people state, "and everybody knows that the EVO hydraulic lifters go belly up every 30000 miles or so."

Someone responds back that that seems a little scary and the editer of the letters section reaffirms that it is true only he says that they can bo bad anywhere from 20000 to 30000 miles.

Crap, I hope not, I just bought a 99 1200 with 18000 miles on it. It runs great but I am planning a cross country next spring.

Anyone have any experience with this issue. How much would it cost to replace the lifter assemblies? Should I just do it now to avoid getting stranded in the middle of Kansas somewhere?

Crap!

Patsue

·
Registered
31 Posts
You cannot put a date on a part going bad, there are too many variables. Such as the 10,000 mile difference you just stated. Stop being paranoid and ride it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been riding it quite a bit. Planning a cross country trip next spring and sort of wanting a heads up on this.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If your realy that worred change them. Sometimes they will let you know 1000's of miles before they fail. I here folks said "they where making noise the past 3000 miles". Sometimes its boom needle bearings everywhere.
The Sportys however have much differant valve trane geomatry , with more lobe area to suport the lifters. I dont think Sportys have as bad of a time eating lifters as the evo's do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts