V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially posted in forum request area
Might as well put it in the right place.

Can't wait to see this one develop. LOL

Will not be able to contribute much, as the grand total of times my last three bikes have been at a dealer for repair or service is a whopping one, but even this one was not without incident.

The 99 had a habit of dying under full throttle and eventually I traced it back to the Bank Angle Sensor and corrected it with a heavy tie wrap putting tension on the mounting bracket. A few months later apparently the factory agreed and issued a recall to replace the bracket. While no longer having a problem, I figured why not have the proper part on the bike, and asked the dealer to give me one of the new brackets, which they refused to do, stating that THEY had to perform the recall.
Against my better judgment i decided to let them install the bracket, thinking "how much can they fupp duck one bolt". Right.

After waiting for about one hour watching the guy working on the bike drink coffee I decided to go out and have a smoke. Big mistake. When I picked up the bike, I inmediately noticed that the Mustang seat was not flush against the tank panel and that the wiring harnes on one side was caught between the seat and the frame. Being a non confrontational sort, I figured it will only take me five minutes at home to make it right. Mistake number two.
Before reaching the curb, and still in the dealers driveway my left saddlebag fell off. It obviously had not been properly reattached.

That one bracket cost the dealer $600.00. When they told me I had to wait for a new saddlebag, I just walked into the showroom and took a saddlebag off a new bike sitting on the floor and advised them that since it was their problem, they should be the ones waiting for a saddlebag.
They didn't say a thing. For the most part now they give me the recall parts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good for you, Hippo! You think like I do on taking that new saddlebag! If'n you let them walk on you - you deserve the tracks on your back.

BTW, I ask to watch if I have to let someone work on my bike, if they say no, I ask them what they got to hide. If they still refuse, I go somewhere else. However I know what you meen about needing a smoke.

Cold Rider

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No big thing really. Dealers are no different from anyone else, once they realize that you will retaliate if pushed too far, despite the smile on your face, you will have very few problems.

If I were in a situation where I would need to have someone work on my bike, I would try very hard to find someone I respected and trusted enough to walk away and let them do their thing without reservations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts