V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I bought mine right from the dealer. But, if you have the manual part # for your specific model you can order them from Zanotti's. I think I probably paid about $50 at the dealer and Zanotti has it for $39.60

edit: softail model manual is 99482-05

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
You can contact your local HD dealer and ask the parts guy what the part number is for the service manual for your model and year. Should be around $50. With the part number in hand, go to zanottimotor.com and order the manual from them. Save yourself some $$...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Ed Y said:
I'd also recommend getting the parts manual.
The parts list is changing all the time, especially on newer bikes, making a parts manual obsolete/incorrect every month or so. Most HD dealer parts guys are willing to look up part #'s for you over the phone, so it negates the need for a hard copy manual.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with Ed Y, Harley part numbers don't change that much, besides the old number can always be crossed to the new number. The parts manual also has great illustrated break down of component items. I use it all the time.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The parts on my "93 have not chaged enough to make my manual obsolete. The alpha rev has changed, but the base part number has remained the same on 99% of the parts. The parts book is a great tool, especially if you keep your bike for a few years.
And yes the Harley dealer does cross reference some old alph rev numbers to the new ones on occasion. A good example is the derby cover gasket. It used to be an O-ring, now it is a round gasket with writing on the center so you can install it correctly. It has the same part number just a different alpha rev.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
LongRide said:
I agree with Ed Y, Harley part numbers don't change that much, besides the old number can always be crossed to the new number. The parts manual also has great illustrated break down of component items. I use it all the time.
Exactly!! The part #'s that do change are normally superceded by a later version which means A or B or C is added. Simple enough to verify at Chicago HD online site. The illustrated components are the most important feature.

Besides, I don't have much faith in a lot of people behind the parts counters. Too many newbies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts