V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked-up a service manual for 02 Sportster. Glad I did, it contains a bunch of good info and will save me $285.00 that HD wants to charge for the 1000 mile service! Just a quick question though: on reading about the primary oil change/drain, the book does not state to put any type of Loctite on the threads. Should I Loctite it before reinstallation? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I always use a little teflon tape or teflon pipe sealant on the threads of the drain plug for the primary. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished the primary oil/drain/change. Glad I did, the old oil looked pretty bad. Guess from the break-in. Also, cleaned off the metal particles from the drain plug, resealed it and then reinstalled it. Took it out for a spin.......boy, what a difference in the shifting!! Alot quieter and smoother now. Thanks for the input fellas!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting to read about the amount of debris and metal bits evident after a first oil change. On the old 80:20 rule it might well be worth replacing the oil after the first 200 miles - most of the metal bits have probably been shed by then - and then doing it again at 1000 miles. Could be a good investment. This is what I plan to do anyway... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts