V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us were sitting at the American Legion getting ready to take a weekday ride to get something to eat. Everyone was cranked up and ready to go. One of the guys puts his bagger in gear, let's out the clutch, and the drive belt falls off...BROKE. Just so happens the dealer put on a new rear tire just LAST WEEK. Now, if I was a service manager I would find out who did the work and I would make his ass stay and fix that bike..regardless of how late. The guy had to call a tow service and then find a ride home from the shop. On the phone they told him that they would get it fixed asap and then when he got there they told him about 5.5 hours of work. The tech must have gooned something up pretty bad. Thus..."stay your ass at work and FIX the customer's bike that YOU gooned up." Problem was...they didn't want to take that kind of responsibility. Told the CUSTOMER that they wouldn't have it ready until TUESDAY after the New Year weekend. I have heard many stories of dealer mechanics fukkin up a job and not knowing it until the customer has to bring it back because of either a leak or a noise. Damn..factory trained huh? Maybe they should adopt a policy of in-process and final inspections by an in-shop inspector. If I was fortunate enough to have my own business there would be some assurance that at least the mechanical part was performed correctly...with people signing off stating such.

Am I off base here or is shoddy maintenance the accepted norm when it comes to dealers?

Semper Fi,
Steve
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Read Only
2006 Road King Classic
507 Posts
Are you sure that you really want the answer to that question?

Damn, just noticed that you were on the 31 year program.....Thanks ;)

·
1,336 Posts
Hey Steve,

I would start a new company. Get the best Service Techs togehter make them partner's in the company. Split the profits with them. That way they care about the job they are doing and realize "Good Service" keeps money in their pockets. The customers will always be working with one of the owners.

My company started that way in 2000. We just finished a record year in a sluggish manufacturing economy. We seldomly beat the OEM out on price, But people will pay for good service.

Bad Service comes when people just don't give a sh t.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
There is missing information to answer your question. How many miles on the belt that broke? What are the conditions of the pulleys? Does he beat on the bike at all?

I would be inclined to think the belt tension was too tight when it was reassembled. And more than likely you are correct about it being a service issue at the dealer. But there are other reasons for belts to break and though unlikely, coincidences do happen.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I don't think good attributes can be taught. I see younger guys ignoring customers on a daily basis.

I have my own business. I'd like to see employees get a taste of a world where customer service decides if you get rent or heat.

Perhaps that will change ideals.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
The Tourist said:
I don't think good attributes can be taught. I see younger guys ignoring customers on a daily basis.

I have my own business. I'd like to see employees get a taste of a world where customer service decides if you get rent or heat.

Perhaps that will change ideals.
They can be taught(good attributes)...they just aren't...people have long memories and when the economy slows and competition gets tough those having offered the better service will stay in business...those not will wonder why they have no customer loyalty: Retail Darwinism :D

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
They can be taught(good attributes)...they just aren't...people have long memories and when the economy slows and competition gets tough those having offered the better service will stay in business...those not will wonder why they have no customer loyalty: Retail Darwinism :D
Very poignant observation. The operative word here is, or should be, "Value".

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Customer service is a "top-down" attitude that has to start at management. Some dealers make it on the HD name alone - they survive but never thrive. Others who pay attention to their customers manage to do especially well when things are going good, and better than most when things aren't.
If it turns out to be a mechanic's error, I think the situation described says a lot about having a good tech to work on your bike and not some nameless hack at the dealer.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
springer- said:
There is missing information to answer your question. How many miles on the belt that broke? What are the conditions of the pulleys? Does he beat on the bike at all?

I would be inclined to think the belt tension was too tight when it was reassembled. And more than likely you are correct about it being a service issue at the dealer. But there are other reasons for belts to break and though unlikely, coincidences do happen.
Doesn't ride real hard, not a high mileage bike, and yes, imo, it is too much of a coincidence for a belt to fail less than a week after having the rear wheel off the bike. Coincidences do happen...but in this case got a lot of help from the complacent, "everything is routine", mindset of the tech.

I'd love to have my own business Jonas....wouldn't even know where to begin. Was a jarhead so long, all I ever did was fix helicopters or make sure they got fixed right. Business experience......ZERO. Sure is something to think about.

Semper Fi,
Steve

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Steve,
When you are taught "safety of flight" maintenance concepts I believe the basic philosophy stays with you forever. I worked on jets and we were taught to double check everything, get a second signoff, and inventory your tools before turning in the paperwork to release the aircraft. Quality and accountability became second nature. It has carried me through life for many years. But as said above, it works best "top down".

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
It sounds like a coincidence to me. I see very little way to prove it, otherwise. I don't think the dealer should have to eat the price of a belt.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
It sounds like a coincidence to me. I see very little way to prove it, otherwise. I don't think the dealer should have to eat the price of a belt.

I have to agree :yes:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
It's American Way

I have noticed that customer service, poor quality of service/products, and employees work ethics etc. are on the decline here in the US. Poor workmanship is not a HD only problem. The majority of the folks where I work want to make as much money as possible for the least amount of effort. The American worker is getting very lazy with poor work ethics.

Why do you thing everything you pick up to buy is made in another country. Unless we wake up we won't have any jobs left here to support our families. We talk about the stealers and their high priced items and poor service, look around you, that is the AMERICAN WAY. It saddens me that the Greatest Country in the world is being reduced to a third world country.

My -2$en#e-

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Hmmmm thats why I work on my own bike :hmmm:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
The guy ought to be happy he's getting the belt replaced. It's a wear item and not under warranty. Even if the tech did cause it (we don't know), he does now have a new belt. Guess the "ride to eat" was a total disaster.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
xxxflhrci said:
Head in sand.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some of you guys sure are easy on the dealer. I guess it would be the same if the belt would have broke in the center lane of a freeway and this guy got mashed by a semi casue he couldn't get over.....just a "coincidence". The fact that it's a wear tiem and not under warranty has absolutely nothing to do with taking accountability for your techs and standing behind the reputation of your shop. The guy probably never even bothered to check the belt deflection.
How about this? How about if the service manager was to query the tech that did the job and have him explain to him EXACTLY what steps he did after putting the new belt on....too loose being worse than too tight.
Okay..Don't want to beat the dead horse so I'll leave this alone. You won't change my mind about how the dealer should STEP UP and accept this and then work on fixing the obvious problem in the shop. You have to acknowledge a problem before you can fix it.
Semper Fi,
Steve

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Perhaps since it is a wear item, the dealer could have replaced, for no charge, the belt that was purchased by the bike owner.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
All of this talk about the belt being too loose or too tight makes me think that the bike's owner should have stuck a finger down there and checked the belt tension before he left the shop or maybe before he went out riding throughout the week. Personally, if I had a tire changed on a bike I'd check the belt, have a look to make sure the spacers were in place, the axle nut was secured with the cotter pin, and maybe even check the tire pressure before I took off riding for a week. Had his belt snapped when he pulled out of the dealer's lot, I could see point a finger at the tech, but not a week down the road.

I guess it would have been the same story had he gotten a dealer oil change, rode around a week without checking the oil, and then had his engine seize up....Blame the dealer.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Personally, when I ever have ork done, I double check eveything. Even if it's someone I trust. It's easy to overlook a step when in a rush to hurry and get the customer his bike back and fix the next one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.