V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an early 07 FLHTC that I purchased in august of 2006. I took it to the dealer yesterday to have the rear tire replaced and an IDS installed. He only charged an additional $13 labor for the IDS install! Anyway, I was chatting with the service manager and told him about how bad the bike would ping when it was in the 90's and I was riding two-up on the interstate. He mentioned there was a sevice bulletin that came out on September 11th of this year relating to an ECM reflash to address the pinging problems on 07's during light acceleration and interstate riding. Since the bike was already getting a tire change I told him to go ahead and reflash it since it only took an extra 10 or 15 minutes to do it. Apparently it isn't a recall like the "torque smooting calibration" was so I don't imagine 07 owner's will get the notification like we did with the Torque Smoothing Calibration. They are offering the reflash at no charge. Since I have a Power Commander installed the ECM was stock with the exception of the "torque smooting calibration" so I didn't worry about the reflash affecting a Stage I or Stage II map. For those of you 07 owners that have had your ECM upgraded with a Stage I or II be sure to ask the dealer if the new reflash is available for those before you get it done as it will erase any previous flash you had. Since the temperatures were only in the 30's I won't really know if it helped but I can only hope so.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thanks for the info, even with the temperatures in the low 30's my Ultra will ping. Since it sounds like a no cost fix I will probably go that route.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I've got a late model '07 Ultra in Saudi and am having all sorts of problems with pinging. It is a Canadian spec bike which should be the same as the US bikes, at least as far as the engine goes. Anyway, I had the air filter and SE mufflers installed before delivery in Sept. Last week I stopped by the shop for the first service and was complaining about the pinging. They would have hooked up the Digital Technician but it wasn't linking to the mainframe in England, had to go back a few days later. Finally got the DT working and it seems to think my bike is an HDI version and therefore no stage 1 and no 103 upgrades are available. No wonder I'm pinging like crazy. I'm not sure which rocket surgeon doesn't know that about 30% of the bikes that go to the Middle East are Canadian, I mean it's only the same distributor....:whatever:

Have you got the SB number and possibly the original Stage 1 Part number that I can pass along to these guys?

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Sloxl, I looked over the bulletin with the service manager but I didn't see any numbers. It was dated 9-11-07.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Thanks anyway, that's more info that I can pass along.

·
This is what I do!
28 Posts
Hey, soxl

I dont think that even if the saudi's get connected to england that they will have access to american or canadian software updates anyway. I see this all the time with american bikes and the new digital tech here in germany, even after entering the bike into the DT and trying to update the ecm the only software available is HDI. Of course we dont download that into the american ecm for the bike would then have all sorts of trouble codes for the active exhaust and intake. HD tells us its not there responsablility its with "SPX", the makers of the DT and software. Be careful as to what they load into the bike!

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
you will lose power

Tom Ricci said:
Thanks for the info, even with the temperatures in the low 30's my Ultra will ping. Since it sounds like a no cost fix I will probably go that route.
so says some of the best dyno guys.

·
Road_glider
231 Posts
Mine too

I have what I would call a late '07 Ultra I think. It was purchased in May of 2007 so I guess it qualifies. What I do know is that I am having the same problems as described. I started noticing it recently while running on the hiway in 5th gear, 3,000 RPM's @ 70MPH. When rolling on the throttle it begins to ping. I am riding one up with no additional weight, ie. loaded saddle bags etc. I thought maybe it was a tank of bad gas but now I think maybe it is the ECM causing the problem. It was not overly hot outside for November here in North Texas.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Thanks joshuae;
It's nice to hear the problem exists elsewhere. It sounds like SPX needs to be uh, "reminded" that there are bikes other than HDI models around the world. I suspect though that they only provide the updates provided by Harley.
After one of the hottest Octobers that anybody can remember it has started to cool off here which is helping. My pinging would occur at 3000 RPM also but I didn't even need to be accelerating, just cruising!
In the meantime I have a race tuner coming, can't wait for these guys to figure out their own equipment.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Are you sure its pinging?Dyno run will show this.Maybe what you are hearing is what the IDS fixes.This noise sounds very much like knock.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Well, we'll find out in a couple of weeks!! I have both the IDS and race tuner coming. I'm pretty sure it's pinging though. Stage 1 stuff except for the ECM recalibration have been done (as it turns out) so I'm no doubt lean as hell.
Thanks for the input though.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
ge6280 said:
I have what I would call a late '07 Ultra I think. It was purchased in May of 2007 so I guess it qualifies. What I do know is that I am having the same problems as described. I started noticing it recently while running on the hiway in 5th gear, 3,000 RPM's @ 70MPH. When rolling on the throttle it begins to ping. I am riding one up with no additional weight, ie. loaded saddle bags etc. I thought maybe it was a tank of bad gas but now I think maybe it is the ECM causing the problem. It was not overly hot outside for November here in North Texas.
I have an o7 eg standard. I went thru a lot of hell with the motor co. with the pinging problem. Hah to fight with them till they sent a different ecm with the new flash which at the time was being tested to see if it would fix the problem. It did not. Tried a terry terminal velocity II with disasterous results. Went with a Thunder Max and that worked well till the bike would not idle down. Put the bike back to stock and took it in to the dealer and found that the idle stop screw had come loose and that it had a leak around the injectors and map sensors. The bike now runs with out the ping and runs better than it ever has. Have the mechanis look for leaks as the ecm will try and compensate for the lean condition. Hope it works out for you

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
OK, just got the word from the local shop here in paradise. They now have approval to hook up to the US computer, don't know who they called but it was somebody in Milwaukee. They are trying to get as many of us with 07-08 bikes together as they can so they can do it all at one time. Since it was something that was supposed to be done at the same time as the EFI kits they won't charge us either!! Thats a better deal than free donut Thursdays.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Service Bulletin for the Pinging Problem

The Service Bulletin for this da.. pinging problem is M 1191 B.

There were two bulletins that came out in Sept. 07, the M 1191 B is the last.

You can have the reflash/update etc. downloaded with or without the Heat Management option that shuts down the rear cyclinder at idle when the temp gets to high.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do I get my hands on the service bulletin, M-1191-B? Couldn't locate it elsewhere on this forum, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

The sypmtoms described sound exactly like my problem. 2007 Ultra with Stage 1. When accelerating, a serious pinging noise starts like clockwork when I hit 2,800rpm. Only fix so far has been to turn up the stereo!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pinging Service Bulletin

The pinging on my stock 07 Ultra got worse as I progressed from sea level to about 8000 feet.

Even though the Service Manual encourages owners to frequently check Service Bulletins the dealers will not allow customers to see them. Go figure.

Even though I have been unable to conduct an apples to apples type road test due to weather and schedules the other symptoms have NOT reoccurred since the M 1191 B download.

May your pinging disappear........very annoying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update,

After trying on my own to get a copy of the service bulletin, I walked into my dealer's service manager and he happily provided me with a copy! He took the time to explain the whole process. At the 15k service they are going to do it for me. Couldn't ask for better customer service.

I'll definitely get in over me head here, but here's some more info. This service bulletin is a revision to the Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) that shuts down the rear cylinder in extreme heat situations. This revision states, "All current 2007 calibrations for 1584 and 1690 Twin Cam models have a revised spark map to address 'pinging' complaints under light load and highway cruising conditions." BINGO.

When you have this calibration applied by the dealer, you have the choice of having the EITMS activated or deactivated. Each VIN can have it activated and deactivated once for free. My dealer suggested having the EITMS activated. After a few weeks if I don't like it, they will do the calibration again to deactivate it. That way, he said, by seeing that the EITMS was turned on, and back off, we can be certain that the bike's ECM was actually over-written with the new calibration. Kinda makes sense to me, but like I said, I'm on the verge of being way over my head.

Question: Any comments on the EITMS from anyone? Seems strange to have a cylinder shut down, but my dealer says Cadillac has been doing it successfully for years. There is a caution in the bulletin that it makes your exhaust smell different.

·
Road_glider
231 Posts
Pinging

Thank you for the information, I called my dealership the other day and he had not heard of this. I will print a copy and take it to them and see what they say. I hope this helps the pinging issue. My only wonder is how they disable the cylinder during idle. Is it accomplished by disabling the spark or cutting off the fuel to the selected cylinder. Hopefully both!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank you for the information, I called my dealership the other day and he had not heard of this. I will print a copy and take it to them and see what they say. I hope this helps the pinging issue. My only wonder is how they disable the cylinder during idle. Is it accomplished by disabling the spark or cutting off the fuel to the selected cylinder. Hopefully both!
It shuts off both spark and fuel to the rear cylinder, turning it into a big air pump which helps the engine to cool down.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Cadillac has been doing it for years, but it took them years to get it to work. HD just started, it will take some time to get it to work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts