V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the latest part number for the HD SERT. If i'm not mistaken, the latest one attaches through the USB port instead of the serial. I'm going to go ahead and get one for my 06 FLHTCUI. :gun:

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
HKSkully said:
Does anyone have the latest part number for the HD SERT. If i'm not mistaken, the latest one attaches through the USB port instead of the serial. I'm going to go ahead and get one for my 06 FLHTCUI. :gun:
Latest part # 32107-01D.

Connecting the Interface to the Vehicle

The interface is used to translate the vehicle ECM diagnostic signals to a form that the Tuning Mode software can operate with.

CAUTION: Do not under any circumstances directly connect the vehicle to a PC without using the interface. This may permanently damage the vehicle’s ECM or the PC, and Tuning Mode will not function.

To connect the interface from the vehicle to the PC or laptop computer, follow these steps:

1. Refer to your vehicle’s manuals for the location and access method for the diagnostic data test connector.

2. Connect the vehicle cable (with the large plastic 4-pin connector) to the vehicle diagnostic connector, and snap it in place.

3. Connect the other end of the vehicle cable to the mating connector on the interface module. Secure the connector with the locking screws.

4. Attach the RS-232 extension cable to the other interface connector and secure the connector locking screws.

5. Attach the other end of the RS-232 extension cable to the PC or laptop serial port connector.

Use of USB Serial Port Adapters

Some newer laptop computers have eliminated the serial port entirely, and supply only a USB port. Tuning Mode has not been formally tested with all these adapters, but many "name brand" adapters (such as Belkin) do function properly with Tuning Mode. It is suggested that you find a USB adapter supplier that will allow you to exchange and try several adapters to find one that works correctly on your particular computer.
Still attaches to a serial port!

;)

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the latest SERT. I want to tune mine to optimum performance. I have a Daytona Sensor's Scanner and Flight Data Recorder that I use from time to time on my bikes. After reviewing the sensor data stream, I've noticed that the rear injector is holding back on it's pulse width in comparison the the front injector. Every once in a while after warm up, and after reaching a velocity (constant) speed, say 50 mph and back off the throttle to hold at that speed, I notice what appears to be an engine skipp or miss. Just one slight miss, not multiples, almost like the decel enleanment is trying to kick in but don't because of the TPS not dropping to any appreciable level. I do notice that at the time of the occurance, the MAP also glitches slightly. MAP comes up ever so lightly with the slight decrease in accelleration to hold at steady speed, but not enough that I would factor in any enleanment. I'm just associating the rear injector pulse decrease with what I believe is the enleanment trying to activate. Love the Daytona Sensor Scanner due to the fact that you don't need to take the laptop with you, just the small scanner interface that hides under the side cover. After the drive, you can upload the scanner info into the laptop and see recorded readings on a timeline format.
High Flow SE AC, Rhinhart True Duals, SE Stage 2 with 203's.

What if any effect, will it have on the warranty and or extended warranty when the SERT is installed???

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
HKSkully said:
Thanks for the info on the latest SERT. I want to tune mine to optimum performance. I have a Daytona Sensor's Scanner and Flight Data Recorder that I use from time to time on my bikes. After reviewing the sensor data stream, I've noticed that the rear injector is holding back on it's pulse width in comparison the the front injector. Every once in a while after warm up, and after reaching a velocity (constant) speed, say 50 mph and back off the throttle to hold at that speed, I notice what appears to be an engine skipp or miss. Just one slight miss, not multiples, almost like the decel enleanment is trying to kick in but don't because of the TPS not dropping to any appreciable level. I do notice that at the time of the occurance, the MAP also glitches slightly. MAP comes up ever so lightly with the slight decrease in accelleration to hold at steady speed, but not enough that I would factor in any enleanment. I'm just associating the rear injector pulse decrease with what I believe is the enleanment trying to activate. Love the Daytona Sensor Scanner due to the fact that you don't need to take the laptop with you, just the small scanner interface that hides under the side cover. After the drive, you can upload the scanner info into the laptop and see recorded readings on a timeline format.
High Flow SE AC, Rhinhart True Duals, SE Stage 2 with 203's.

What if any effect, will it have on the warranty and or extended warranty when the SERT is installed???
IMO, getting an optimum tune will eventually require purchasing the SERT and taking the bike to a dyno facility for final tuning. The SERT is a racing use only add-on and may void your warranty if the MOCO can prove it directly caused a failure. I would talk directly with your Dealer concerning this matter.

The Daytona Sensor is a great unit in that it does not require the laptop to record your data; and it's supposed to integrate it's recording information for use with the SERT.

You mention the rear injector is "holding back" on it's pulse width compared to the front injector. My understanding is the pulse width of either injector is directly related to the VE settings (table) for that particular cylinder. IOW's, increasing the VE in a particular cell will tell the ECM more air is entering and increase the pulse width to supply additional fuel. If the pulse width is less in the rear cylinder than the front it should be because the rear VE value is less.

If you do purchase the SERT, you also have the option of buying a map from www.hdmaps.com that will get you into the ballpark for your engine combination until it's finally tuned by a competent SERT/Dyno Tune Facility.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Some Additional Info:

From the SERT Manual:

DE – Deceleration Enleanment

Deceleration Enleanment mode is activated when the throttle is closed. This causes "transient" fuel to be removed for a short period of time.

Operation:

When the engine is running the series of events typically follows the process below:

The ECM monitors the CKP, TP, IAT & MAP sensors telling it engine rpm, throttle position, intake air temperature and manifold absolute pressure.

The ECM looks at throttle position and engine rpm and then refers to the VE Look-up tables to calculate the volume of air that should be entering each cylinder under the present conditions.

At the same time, the ECM looks at intake air temperature and manifold absolute pressure to calculate the density of the air entering the engine. From the Air density and the air volume, the ECM calculates exactly how many grams of oxygen are in the air entering the engine.

Now that the ECM knows exactly how much oxygen is entering each cylinder, it refers to the AFR Look-up table for the AFR that’s desired. From these values, the ECM calculates how much fuel is required and determines what the fuel injector pulse width must be to deliver this fuel. It then sends the appropriate output signals to the fuel injectors to deliver the fuel.

The ECM also refers to the Spark Advance tables for the desired spark advance for each cylinder at the current engine rpm and engine load. The ECM then sends output signals to the front and rear ignition coils to deliver the desired timing of the spark for each cylinder.
;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts