V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Street Glide EFI with a 95" motor and Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. This is where the problem begins.
My selling dealer who installed the motor and SERT claimed the Street Glides Vin did not recognize the Race Tuner and downloaded a map useing the Vin from an 06 Electra Glide. The dealer claims this was a problem exclusive to the Street Glide and has since been fixed. But this doesn't help me.
Now my Race Tuner will only accept the Electra Glides Vin?? Recently upgrading pipes I went to another dealer to have it Dialed in (dyno tuned) (which is when I found out about all this!) and they entered my Vin with no ability to tune the Air and Fuel mixture let alone Dial the bike in. Does this sound right? What are my options? Is the Race Tuner Ruined? Zen

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
The original dealer can change your VIN back to the one your SERT will recognize, if anybody remembers what it is...
And the dealer who changed it back can leave it alone if they want your dyno business. This was a well known problem when the FLHX first came out and the dealer was a dick for changing it back, IMHO

·
Fuel SYS ENG
144 Posts
Ask the dealership to replace the interface in your SERT kit. How much did they want to charge your for a dyno tune?

:cheers:

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
The dealer should be able to replace the little black box thats part of the SERT. That is the piece that is "married" to the bike/VIN. Their screw up, they should pay to fix it... Good luck...

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SERT= Bad!!! PCIII= Good!!!

Second Dealer had bike for 10 days and bike still didn't run right! Called third HD Dealer and they recomended throwing the SERT away! Dealer claims to many issues with SERT and 06 bikes. OK, now I have a Harley Dealer telling me to abandon the HD product for a Power Commander! I have nothing to loose except cost of SERT :eek: and price of PCIII:crying: . When arriving I was shown at least 6 current engine builds in progress and quickly understood they used non Harley Performance Parts when results warrant. Dealer removed SERT and installed the PCIII then back on Dyno and presto!!! After days in the shop with no improved results (at the first two dealerhips) the third HD Dealership made this bike run like a Raped Ape in just a few hours! I have 82 lbs of tq at 2500 rpms and it goes up from there. The air and fuel are dead on and the bike finally has the Fun To Ride Factor it never had including way improved fuel economy. At 3500 miles on the Odo. the bike has finally come to life and pulls like a dream. Keep your life simple and go with the Power Commander. The SERT is only as good as the Tuner and not near as user freindly. The PCIII is readily tunable and the Excepted Leader at Independent Performance Shops & In The Know HD Dealerships across the Country. I can only speak for my experience as an End User, the PCIII is a quick and easy way to optimize performance from your engine! Zen

http://www.powercommander.com/

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I'm glad your bike is running better, but you got screwed twice. The SERT is just a tool used to change the settings inside the ECM. Any decent tuner should have been able to get your bike running right without making you spend extra money on a PCIII.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I'll pile on, too.
The SERT is just a tool (and a more capable tool than the PCIII) that they didn't know how to use.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Given the knowledge the dealers have around here regarding the SERT,
although expensive, you probaboy made a good decision.
Did you wind up at Freedom Cycles?

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nvsteve said:
Given the knowledge the dealers have around here regarding the SERT,
although expensive, you probaboy made a good decision.
Did you wind up at Freedom Cycles?
Steve, Auburn HD did the work and I can agree about tuners in this area.
http://www.auburnharley.com/
They had several motor builds goin. I just reffered a freind getting a 95 build done.
Anybody want a used SERT? Is it even good for anything now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts