V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop doesn't have a Male Serial adapter. It has a female like the SERT cable. Can I use a Female/Female adapter? Or do I need to find a USB to Female Serial adapter?

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Serial cables on laptops are pretty standard. They are 9 pin male (has pins). Does yours by any chance have 3 rows with 15 holes? That would be a video connector if it does.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Check twice, buy once...........

springer- said:
Serial cables on laptops are pretty standard. They are 9 pin male (has pins). Does yours by any chance have 3 rows with 15 holes? That would be a video connector if it does.
Michael,
Is your laptop a Toshiba? I got caught something like that, I thought it was a SERIAL port by the looks, when I got the SERT, it wouldn't plug in. So I :RTFB: which is easy with Toshiba because the manuals are in the computer. Ended up buying a USB to Serial adaptor.
Check your manual to find out what that port is first, then you will know what you have to buy. Hope that helps, John:yes:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is Toshiba, little bitty bastard. It's actually my wifes, so I'm not with it right now. But it does have one female 15pin video out. Along with a bunch of USB ports.

I'm really a bit suprised that the cable with the SERT isn't USB, almsot everything I run across is USB these days.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
The answer is right under your nose...........

michael101 said:
I think it is Toshiba, little bitty bastard. It's actually my wifes, so I'm not with it right now. But it does have one female 15pin video out. Along with a bunch of USB ports.

I'm really a bit suprised that the cable with the SERT isn't USB, almsot everything I run across is USB these days.
Well, I think we all are, but you got it covered in your signature line ............. the bit about knowing what they are doing :roflback:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The_Snowman said:
Well, I think we all are, but you got it covered in your signature line ............. the bit about knowing what they are doing :roflback:
I think, in this case, they knew what they were doing, but a few years behind the curve.....

Anyhow..I'm up and programming, thanks to Radio Shack. Found a conversion cable there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
USB to Serial Adapter

It is very uncommon for a laptop to have a serial port these days. I just bought a Belkin USB to Serial converter today at CompUSA for $49. Best Buy has them available as well.

I too was surprised that the SERT comes with a serial interface. Sort of an ancient technology from today's current computing standards. :hmmm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.