V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but it had my heart rate going for a while.

Today I wanted to try a suggestion to tweak my ECM map, but I'd never really used my SERT software before. I had hooked it up once before just to see how it works and to make sure it could communicate with my bike....no problem.

Well, today I made a slight change to the map based on some info from HDMaps where I got the map originally. I made the change, even made an edit to the notes, and saved the map. So far, so good.

I grab my laptop and head to the garage where I proceed to hook everything up. I've done this once before, so I'm an old pro.

I bring up the program, open the map file, click on program ECM, and then get ECM info. VIN, ECM, and Cal ID numbers all come up...great, ready to go.

I light a cigarette, cross my fingers, and click on Program ECM Cal. Little blue bar starts moving, everything looks good, and "OH CRAP!" Error message loading bootstrap, program quitting, world coming to an end.

Everything locked up. Program quit. ECM Cal stuck on 25% and going nowhere. I figured okay, the program locked up, but it quit before anything happend. I try again to use the software to reload, hit get ECM info and get "Not Found" for VIN, ECM, and Cal ID. Crap! CRAP!! So I shut it down, wait a minute, and try to start my bike.

First thing I noticed was my fuel pump didn't whir on like it's supposed to. Silence, along with an absent pump light on the speedo. I'm pretty worried now, but get even more rattled when the bike won't even think about starting. My beautiful bike dead in the water, or in this case, in the middle of the garage. ECM hosed.

After a few anxious minutes of swearing, pacing around the garage, falling to my knees and praying to the Harley gods, I decided to try and read the help files.

I finally found a section that described my problem and told me not to panic. It actually said that, "Don't Panic!". But I saw it a little too late, already panicking. It said just to disconnect the battery to reset the ECM and try again. I figured it couldn't be that easy.

Damned if they weren't right. Disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes, reconnected it, then hit the run switch. That fuel pump never sounded so sweet.

Put everything back together and tried again. Just about danced a jig when I saw all my info come up. Went on to program the ECM and took it for a much needed test ride.

The best part is that the small tweak to the map seems to have fixed a slight ping I had along with sluggish throttle response around 2500-3500 rpm. phew!

Apparently they really mean it when they say to wait 10 seconds after hitting the ignition switch before attempting to communicate with the bike.:blink:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Snaps said:
Apparently they really mean it when they say to wait 10 seconds after hitting the ignition switch before attempting to communicate with the bike.:blink:

Now that was funny! :duh?:

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
Dude, you are a great story teller!! Oh yeah, and I'm glad it all worked out...the story would not have been half as good if your bike was still sitting there quietly in the garage!

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
Wow, what was the tweak? I am working out a similar ping problem at 1750-2250 RPMs.

Yeah don't forget to shut her off and let is sit for a bit before you restart. I loaded up 3 different SERT files yesterday and had some weird errors but kept cracking at it and finally it sorted itself out. FUNNY BLOODY THING IT IS.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seamonkeyman said:
Wow, what was the tweak? I am working out a similar ping problem at 1750-2250 RPMs.
I don't know if I'd recommend it for anyone else. I got this map from HDMaps when I had a Jim's 120" installed in my bike. The map matched my build exactly except for the throttle body. Mine's a 51mm HorsePower Inc and the map is for a Zipper's 54mm.

Anyway, I emailed HDMaps to ask about some sluggish throttle response and minor pinging I've been having, mainly in 3rd and 4th gears around certain rpms.

The tweak suggested was to decrease the injector size by 8 units and see what happens.

It seems to have really helped, but I'll need to take it out for a longer ride tomorrow to be sure. Whether this would work for your problem, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Snaps said:
I finally found a section that described my problem and told me not to panic. It actually said that, "Don't Panic!". But I saw it a little too late, already panicking. It said just to disconnect the battery to reset the ECM and try again. I figured it couldn't be that easy.
Snaps: Glad to hear you finally recovered! :cheers:

Some additional info for everyone:

Programming Failure Recovery Procedure

Should a programming failure occur, don’t panic! The Harley-Davidson ECM is a very robust unit, and will recover from virtually all programming failures!

Programming failures may occur for various reasons:

· Failure to wait 10 seconds after the ignition is turned on before starting programming

· The programming cable is knocked loose or there is a bad connection to the vehicle or PC

· The vehicle ignition is turned off during programming

· The vehicle battery goes dead during programming

· The PC is shut-down or the program is exited during programming

· Other Windows programs running in the background while programming

· A screen-saver starts or power-save mode is entered during programming

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
I know just how you feel ... dropped my screwdriver in the middle of changing jets once, and it rolled under the truck ... just about lost my mind until it occurred to me to check the help file ... which said "Don't panic! Look under the truck!"

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Snaps said:
The tweak suggested was to decrease the injector size by 8 units and see what happens.

It seems to have really helped, but I'll need to take it out for a longer ride tomorrow to be sure. Whether this would work for your problem, I don't know.
Making the injector size smaller should richen up the entire map.

:cheers:

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WVRDKING said:
Making the injector size smaller should richen up the entire map.

:cheers:
That was my first thought, too. But then I started thinking about it some more and now I'm not sure. I'm thinking that the injectors can only deliver so much fuel, whatever they're rated for, and the only thing that changes is the pulse width, or the amount of time fuel is released. Is this right?

So, by decreasing the constant for the flow rate on the map, I'm actually just fooling it into thinking that it needs to activate the injector for a longer pulse width. If I'm thinking about this right, that would mean that it still delivers the same amount of fuel, just for a longer time.

I've only had the one email from Matt telling me to try this to see if it gets better or worse and then we'd go from there. I haven't had a chance to get it on the road for a longer ride yet to really check it out, but it seemed to be much better during my short test ride.

I did get another email today from HDMaps today telling me that Matt is on the road for a couple of days. Should give me enough time to test it out, and maybe get a better idea of how this stuff works.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Same story, but no happy ending.......

fourstar said:
Great story and told very well. I felt your pain, man...
Snaps,
Great post, thanks for taking the time to reveal all. I am first time SERT user and pretty much the same happened to me last night.

The first time I connected to the ECM, got the information and thought all was going great, then I tried to program the ECM -----

It froze up at 30% and did nothing for 15 minutes, I had to Ctrl - Alt - Del to shut it down and try again with same result. Also, I had to dis-connect the battery as per Snaps post.

Today I plan to look into the COM port settings a bit closer, especially the speed, but any other suggestions are welcome,

On edit, I am using the dreaded USB - Serial port adaptor and Springer has replied in the main SERT thread, so hopefully the man has an anser for me. I may go out and buy a different adaptor today if that is the problem here.

Thanks, John

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The_Snowman said:
Today I plan to look into the COM port settings a bit closer, especially the speed, but any other suggestions are welcome,
Snowman, not sure if this is your problem, but I think the mistake I made was to not wait long enough in between getting the ECM info and then programming the ECM. The manual says to wait 10 seconds in between steps and apparently that's important.:duh?: Also, make sure to wait at least 10 seconds before trying to communicate after turning on the ignition.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
TomB said:
I know just how you feel ... dropped my screwdriver in the middle of changing jets once, and it rolled under the truck ... just about lost my mind until it occurred to me to check the help file ... which said "Don't panic! Look under the truck!"
A cheese eating Lurker in an EFI thread :lurker:

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
we have some great writers on this forum, i was right there with you as i read that story. almost fell outa my chair, spilled the coffee and my bassett came into the office to make sure i was ok!

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TomB said:
:laugh:

Ah, the trials and tribulations of low tech.:bowdwn:

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
The_Snowman said:

On edit, I am using the dreaded USB - Serial port adaptor and Springer has replied in the main SERT thread, so hopefully the man has an anser for me. I may go out and buy a different adaptor today if that is the problem here.

Thanks, John
Snowman:

Not sure what adaptor your using, but the Belkin F5U109 is doing an excellent job for me: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=1981&pcount=&Product_Id=91042

Downloaded/installed the latest drivers from Belkin's site; ended up selecting Com port 4.

The SERT Tuning Mode Help File has a good write-up on recovering from a programming failure. It does pay to pause when turning on the ignition and start switch prior to getting ECM Info, and the files specifically state waiting 10 seconds after loading another map prior to starting the bike.

Good luck,

Ben

1 - 18 of 18 Posts