V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Doing time, behind bars!
Joined
·
1,480 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Damnit... wish I knew about that place before buying mine... retail is about $459, got mine off ebay for $370 shipped. Still not a bad price, but every $ saved counts towards other goodies... Thanks for the link. I'll be buying other stuff from them...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
springer- said:
First, I was not trying to pick on you. I might of been a little quick on the first post but other than that I am trying to understand this also. The more I read your post above, the more I think there is a terminology problem on your end. Lets have a look.....

You state "you get an ecm with the thundermax", this is the first problem. Are you aware the Thundermax IS an ECM?

You state "if you plan on letting someone borrow the other bike, you would want to return it to stock so it would be tuned while running your stock ecm." What returns it to stock? If you do performance upgrades, the stock ECM will need to be tuned for the upgrades and a Stock ECM is no longer sufficient. This is the whole reason for the conversation here. You would need a SERT to reprogram (Tune) the stock ECM to work with the upgrades. You don't just simply plug in the stock ECM and now the bike is tuned just like it was stock. That simply isn't going to work.

You state "ask your 11 year old, not to hard to comprehend." Before you compare me to an 11 year old, you should first comprehend what you are talking about. I fully comprehend what you are suggesting. I recommend you do some reading because based on the above statements, you have a lot of studying to do. Start with reading about what the Thundermax is.

Here is the link http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=572&prod=1415

And BTW, the Thundermax is $429 and the SERT is $380 .. the SERT is Not an ECM, it is a program to tune the stock ECM.
i am fully aware what the thundermax is. an ecm, datalink, and software. the point is the sert marries to the vin stored in your factory ecm, thus making you have one ecm that is tuned to that particular bike. when you purchase the thundermax, you now have two ecm's, hence the option.
btw, i own a thundermax, did all the research before making my purchase, and would have considered the power commander before the sert. but with advanced tunability, and a backup (factory ) ecm ( which by the way you can have flashed before removal so it will run your bike), the thundermax got my vote and zippers got my money.
fwiw, i don't normally take an argument this far, but for someone to immediately jump to the conclusion that i don't know what i am talking about when i was merely throwing out an option for the first question, sorta pissed my off. my apologies to all and merry christmas. hoping your holiday ride is not to lean!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
I tried to hunt one down 12 months ago (Thundermax) but they were just not available at the time so I have gone with the SERT which I have not had the opportunity to play with yet due to my bike sitting at the dealers waiting for a wheel from PM through Wally`s Wankers that was never going to arrive.

I sure would like to see an appraisal of one put up here for all to see by a rider who is not linked back to the seller etc.

I believe they might be easier to tune than the SERT.............but the SERT like anything else is easy and straight forward too, once you learn the do`s and dont`s.

All the best, Ozzie
 

·
Doing time, behind bars!
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
Check it out at .......

Billman said:
Does the 32107-01D Version come with the latest disc?

I've heard the 32117-01F disc is out.

E-mailed Zanotti's... Waiting for reply.
Easy to check out if that disc version is available at https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php and yes, it is at $14.50
So, to answer your question, no, the SERT package probably does not include the latest disc. However, this is my amateur opinion only, the latest disc probably just includes MAPS for the latest models and does not change the way that SERT actually operates. By that I mean, if you have an older model, you probably wasting you money as a new disc would have no benefit.
I stand corrected if anyone has better information.
Regards, John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
Ozzie In Arabia said:
I tried to hunt one down 12 months ago (Thundermax) but they were just not available at the time so I have gone with the SERT which I have not had the opportunity to play with yet due to my bike sitting at the dealers waiting for a wheel from PM through Wally`s Wankers that was never going to arrive.

I sure would like to see an appraisal of one put up here for all to see by a rider who is not linked back to the seller etc.

I believe they might be easier to tune than the SERT.............but the SERT like anything else is easy and straight forward too, once you learn the do`s and dont`s.

All the best, Ozzie
want an appraisal? pm me. i am not linked to a dealer. but i don't want to be flamed either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
Ozzie..the Thundermax is Alpha-N mode. They make all these great claims about it having over 1,900 tunable cells..instead of 153 with the SERT.
Well....with no MAP input it needs 1900 cells cause LOAD is a computed number with the Thundermax. I dont see how it will compensate nearly as well for altitude or density changes as a SERT.
Put it like this.. need to know the temperature outside...look out the window and get a reading off the thermometer hanging outside.. thats a SERT gettting load information.
OR... put an ice cube of a given size/mass outside and time how long it takes to melt...then look that time up in a chart...then you have your temperature ouside. Thats a Thundermax computing load.
IMHO you are better off with the SERT.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
SYCLONE said:
Ozzie..the Thundermax is Alpha-N mode. They make all these great claims about it having over 1,900 tunable cells..instead of 153 with the SERT.
Well....with no MAP input it needs 1900 cells cause LOAD is a computed number with the Thundermax. I dont see how it will compensate nearly as well for altitude or density changes as a SERT.
Put it like this.. need to know the temperature outside...look out the window and get a reading off the thermometer hanging outside.. thats a SERT gettting load information.
OR... put an ice cube of a given size/mass outside and time how long it takes to melt...then look that time up in a chart...then you have your temperature ouside. Thats a Thundermax computing load.
IMHO you are better off with the SERT.
the thundermax software displays ambient temperature, mass air and many other readings real time. it is also one of three efi tuning systems able to comprehend closed loop-------sert is not of of those three!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
springer- said:
SERT is only a tuning SOFTWARE, the ECM was not designed to use a closed loop system. The SERT has nothing to do with that.

my 06 dyna does operate in closed loop. you can bet next years models will also. and now that i own a thundermax, i can take it off and install it on my next new bike. the sert has nothing to do with that either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
313 Posts
claydbal said:
my 06 dyna does operate in closed loop. you can bet next years models will also. and now that i own a thundermax, i can take it off and install it on my next new bike. the sert has nothing to do with that either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are correct the '06 dyna runs closed loop.................... guess what ................. the SERT for the '06 dyna calibrates in closed loop as well! So if HD changes the ECM next year and uses a different plug with more or less wires running to the ECM you really think your Thundrmax is going to plug in?:confused:
The truth is the SERT works very well, if your happy with the Thundermax that's great too but just sit back and enjoy as it's not worth crying how great it is and how the SERT isn't when that's far from the truth!
 

·
05 FLHTCI
Joined
·
345 Posts
In the hands of a good tuner

In the hands of a good tuner, most of the major products will work well, PCIII, SERT, Thundermax, TCFI. Sorry if I forgot your favorite. The new S & S unit is a new type of unit that MAY make the tuner less important for the overall driveability, but equally important for max power. My analysis is pure speculation based on press reports and S & S trying to sell their new product. I hope it works out for them/us.

Anyway find a tuner that knows your ECM and tuning software and knows how to tune and you will get within a couple hp with any of them.

David
 
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top