V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a SERT be used on multi bikes? I have an 05 deuce and 05 road king and was looking at the Race Tuner but I don't want to buy 2 units. what is needed to use one software package on multiple bikes?

Thanks for the help.

jim

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
IMO, buy 2 SERT's .. they only work on one bike. There are other products out there but they tie you in to specific places for tuning work.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
You're not going to like this answer. Once you hook up and download the bikes VIN into a SERT unit thats the only bike it will ever work on. You are going to need one for each bike.
And yes, you must load the bikes data for the SERT to work.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
silverhdjc said:
I have a race tuner for a for my DYNA but I also want to use it on my softail can I buy a SERT seperately somewhere
Not sure what you are asking here. A race tuner is a SERT ... SERT=Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. If you buy a SERT it works on one bike. For your Softail you have to buy Another SERT. If you are asking if you can program both bikes with one computer, YES. If you are asking if you can buy just the cable with the box in it and use your old program, NO. The reason is because the SERT program disk only costs $20 and the cable is what cost all the money. Online you can buy them for around $400.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
get the thundermax from zippers. it does not marry to the bike.tune for one bike and save the map, tune the other bike and save that map. then just install the unit (5 minutes and load appropiate map--------------off you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
claydbal said:
get the thundermax from zippers. it does not marry to the bike.tune for one bike and save the map, tune the other bike and save that map. then just install the unit (5 minutes and load appropiate map--------------off you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean in 5 minutes your bike is all tuned !! WOW thats AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
chopper blue de said:
Can a SERT be used on multi bikes? I have an 05 deuce and 05 road king and was looking at the Race Tuner but I don't want to buy 2 units. what is needed to use one software package on multiple bikes?

Thanks for the help.

jim

I've never used one so not really sure how the software is setup. You might try loading the software to another computer. Without looking at the software and what's in the cable connector (there might be a IC that stores the info) I'm not sure it will work. But my guess is the VIN number is stored in a file somewhere on the host computer and the software looks to see if the numbers match. If that's the case loading it to a new computer without the file it should work the same as a new install. The IC in the cable would be a little harder to get past.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
FatDave said:
I've never used one so not really sure how the software is setup. You might try loading the software to another computer. Without looking at the software and what's in the cable connector (there might be a IC that stores the info) I'm not sure it will work. But my guess is the VIN number is stored in a file somewhere on the host computer and the software looks to see if the numbers match. If that's the case loading it to a new computer without the file it should work the same as a new install. The IC in the cable would be a little harder to get past.
The software can be loaded in multiple computers and No the vin isn't stored on the host computer. There is a chip in the cable sort of, the cable connects to a box and the vin number is loaded into that box. Then that box will allow ANY computer with the software to upload MAPs to the ECM. That box will only work with the bike it was first used on. The question was about using the same box on more than one bike and not really the software.

If you would like to learn more about the SERT click the link
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60576

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
To continue with springer-'s comment. Its stored in a kind of write-once flash memory (don't know if its flash memory, but it would make sense for its application) inside the little black box that comes with the kit. Once the black box is used, it can't be used on another bike because the VIN and some other info is written to that flash memory. So if you try to use it on another bike, the VIN's won't match and it won't work. It does not mean you can't use the cables or the software from the CD with another machine. With that said, you could "simply" contact your dealer and order the specific part number for the little black box and you're all set. Don't know how much it would cost though. Probably costs HD all of $5 to manufacture. The main problem is getting a dealer to order it for you. Good luck...

--Rob

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
springer- said:
You mean in 5 minutes your bike is all tuned !! WOW thats AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
read again, i clearly said to "tune for one bike and save the map, tune the other bike and save that map. then just install the unit (5 minutes and load appropiate map"

quick to jump, slow to read?????

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I haven't used one so I wasn't sure what all was there. I'm sure Harley made it all but impossible to use again on another bike. I'd have to take one apart and see what's inside the black box. The best bet and the right thing to do would be buy one for each bike.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
claydbal said:
read again, i clearly said to "tune for one bike and save the map, tune the other bike and save that map. then just install the unit (5 minutes and load appropiate map"

quick to jump, slow to read?????
So let me see if I have this right. Buy 1 thundermax ECM unit for use on 2 bikes and then plug the ECM into which ever bike you are going to use and then load the map for that bike and ride? Did I read it slow enough that time?

What if a friend comes over and you want to lend him your other bike?? Does he have to ride bitch now since you only have 1 ECM between the two bikes? And if you were going to go through that much trouble, why couldn't you buy a SERT for less money and then do the same exact thing and then share the stock ECM between the two bikes?

All that to save $380 on the $35,000 worth of bikes you have sitting there.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the info. Not what I was hoping to hear, but what I
was expecting. We all know what HD stands for...Hundred Dollars because nothing is cheaper than that for any of them.

Merry Christmas!!

thanks
jim

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
The Snowman said:
I am not knocking the product. I am trying to understand the logic behind the described use of it. So far I see no advantage, at least in the configuration mentioned. If someone wants to play games swapping out ECM's because they don't want to spend another $400, thats fine. I am just pointing out the perceived downfalls. At this point I see no cost advantage. The use of the SERT is more widely accepted thus should be easier to find someone with experience tuning it. JMO.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
springer- said:
So let me see if I have this right. Buy 1 thundermax ECM unit for use on 2 bikes and then plug the ECM into which ever bike you are going to use and then load the map for that bike and ride? Did I read it slow enough that time?

What if a friend comes over and you want to lend him your other bike?? Does he have to ride bitch now since you only have 1 ECM between the two bikes? And if you were going to go through that much trouble, why couldn't you buy a SERT for less money and then do the same exact thing and then share the stock ECM between the two bikes?

All that to save $380 on the $35,000 worth of bikes you have sitting there.
it was an option not afforded by the sert----you get an ecm with the thundermax so swapping is a viable option.if you plan on letting someone borrow the other bike, you would want to return it to stock so it would be tuned while running your stock ecm. ask your 11 year old, not to hard to comprehend.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I'm with Springer...just spring(no pun intended) for another SERT, Thundermax, or DTT TCFI and be done with it:spank:

·
Registered
98 Posts
claydbal said:
it was an option not afforded by the sert----you get an ecm with the thundermax so swapping is a viable option.if you plan on letting someone borrow the other bike, you would want to return it to stock so it would be tuned while running your stock ecm. ask your 11 year old, not to hard to comprehend.
What's the difference in swapping the Thundermax ECM or the HD? There is no advantage to the Thundermax ECM in this respect. I could do the same with the RT. Tune bike A, (my Deuce), using RT. Save Map from Bike A. Take ECM out of bike A and put it in bike B, (Wife's Night Train (wishful thinking)). Tune bike B using RT. RT still thinks it's tuning bike A. Save Map for bike B. Put ECM in either bike A or bike B and load appropriate MAP. No advantage to the Thundermax in this respect. Not dumping on the Thundermax, just don't see you logic.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
claydbal said:
That option would be available with a SERT or stock ECM. It's just so stupid that no one would contemplate it. Yeah, I'll pull the stroker kit out and put the stock crank back in for the weekend so I can lend someone my bike. Even an 11 year old would know better.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
claydbal said:
First, I was not trying to pick on you. I might of been a little quick on the first post but other than that I am trying to understand this also. The more I read your post above, the more I think there is a terminology problem on your end. Lets have a look.....

You state "you get an ecm with the thundermax", this is the first problem. Are you aware the Thundermax IS an ECM?

You state "if you plan on letting someone borrow the other bike, you would want to return it to stock so it would be tuned while running your stock ecm." What returns it to stock? If you do performance upgrades, the stock ECM will need to be tuned for the upgrades and a Stock ECM is no longer sufficient. This is the whole reason for the conversation here. You would need a SERT to reprogram (Tune) the stock ECM to work with the upgrades. You don't just simply plug in the stock ECM and now the bike is tuned just like it was stock. That simply isn't going to work.

You state "ask your 11 year old, not to hard to comprehend." Before you compare me to an 11 year old, you should first comprehend what you are talking about. I fully comprehend what you are suggesting. I recommend you do some reading because based on the above statements, you have a lot of studying to do. Start with reading about what the Thundermax is.

Here is the link http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=572&prod=1415

And BTW, the Thundermax is $429 and the SERT is $380 .. the SERT is Not an ECM, it is a program to tune the stock ECM.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
springer-, where can you get a SERT for $380, other then ebay?

--Rob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts