V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tuner in the Northern VA area who will actually give you the map after a SERT Dyno tune session. So far Skip's in Winchester, Washington HD in MD, Patriot HD in Fairfax, and Winchester HD in MD all say that they don't/won't provide the actual map at the end of the tuning session. Anybody now a good tuner who will also provide the map with the dyno sheet?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...can't you pull the data/map from the SERT using your computer/laptop?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
No you can't I would not pay any tuner that would not give me a copy of the map he made. You move or need to tweak the map you are SOL. The line they like to give is" we have it here for you"" BS is what it is, if there system crashed you map is long gone. And I do not think they will retune it for free . Ask about getting a copy of the map upfront BEFORE paying. You are paying for a map and I think you have the right to get a copy, after all it is not like a PC where you can retrieve the map. Any other tuner or shop cannot get the map as well, so I the long run you are better off to pay a shop a bit more money that will give you the map then one that will not as it could cost you double in the end.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...thanks for the answer Wrench. Learn something new everyday!!!

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The worst part is that the question shouldn't even have to be asked. After paying someone to do the tuning work, there shouldn't even be an issue about receiving the tuning map, especially after one pays for the SERT to begin with.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HDWRENCH said:
One would think. But it is not the case

You are right, and especially right on the point that one has to ask first to make sure you understand what is going to be delivered during the dyno process. Even though I think it's BS that some tuners don't want to deliver a map because they say it will get passed to others and hurt their business, I believe it is really because many are using canned HD maps, not doing much to them, and don't want to be called on the lack of time that they are really putting into the tuning process. Any reputable tuner will deliver a map.

So I guess that brings me back to my ques. of whether anybody knows a good tuner who provides a copy of the map within 100 miles of DC. thanks.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
I'm looking for a tuner in the Northern VA area who will actually give you the map after a SERT Dyno tune session. So far Skip's in Winchester, Washington HD in MD, Patriot HD in Fairfax, and Winchester HD in MD all say that they don't/won't provide the actual map at the end of the tuning session. Anybody now a good tuner who will also provide the map with the dyno sheet?
I just asked the same question pretty much over on another forum. A local
dealer where I'm planning to have my bike tuned said they didn't know how to give me a copy and had never been asked that before. There supposed to be a pretty good shop for tuning but I'm having second thoughts. I"ll have to
see if I can convince them first or look elsewhere.

Roy

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Some of them will, some won't. They argue that the tune belongs to them, in the sense that it is something they created for you. Furthermore, as mentioned, they are concerned that we'll share the map with others, denying them the work. As Wrench pointed out, if you need it for any reason, you're at their mercy.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
GrayRider said:
Some of them will, some won't. They argue that the tune belongs to them, in the sense that it is something they created for you.
Logically, that seems a bit like HD claiming they own your wheels because they created them :)

It would seem to me that if you are paying for a map to be developed, then you own it. Unless they are writing map rental contracts now :brows:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
petelogan said:
Logically, that seems a bit like HD claiming they own your wheels because they created them :)

It would seem to me that if you are paying for a map to be developed, then you own it. Unless they are writing map rental contracts now :brows:
In the government contracting world Pete, your point is absolute. If the gov pays to have something developed, it is theirs - the development of a map for the bike is exactly the same. The problem is expectations. If the tuner tells you up front that he's only going to deliver a dyno printout then your SOL if you want delivery of the map. So, anyone have a tuner who is delivering?

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I can see it from some tuners stand point also. It's part of their livelyhood. If they can create a map and they are very good at it, can they not charge for it if there is a market. HD Maps.com does it and I believe many people here have used it. This forum shares them and that is a good thing but if a good tuner in a major market area has his maps floating around town, won't he experience a reduction in business. Think of him as a song writer fighting napster or any form of piracy. I think if there were a way to encode the map, you would see more tuners supplying copies to customers. Yes I said more, not all as I am sure some would like to force you to return to them. Bottom line is, it is their right as a businessman and it is your decission on who to choose. That being said, my tuner supplies them free if you bring a floppy.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
petelogan said:
It would seem to me that if you are paying for a map to be developed, then you own it.
They will say that you have it. It is in your ECU. :ntlgh:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
HMMMMm you buy a tuner and HD gives you how may maps????? Pc the same way, And being that map tuned FOR YOUR bike is not a Perfect match for the next guy so, really why are not wanting to give you a map??? I mean YOU paid for a tune and being that the system prevents you from retreiving the map, good customer service would be to offer it to the customer. Being the pc can crash and your map would be lost at the dealer what then??? Are they going retune it for free?? Bottom line this can go on forever but I think that you paid for it , you should get a copy. There may even be a legal issue there I cannot say as not my area, but I would think push come to shove you own the map and no reason why you cannot have a copy. I know of two places here in Phoenix that JUST give you a copy you do not have to ask. They charge 250 to map the bike and do a great job, very easy to deal with.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the key argument against the tuner decision to not give the customer his/her map is in HDWrench's post. HD is constantly updating and adding to the provided SERT maps as a part of the package. They are there for the general SERT purchasers to use freely. When a map is optimized to a bike, it's peaked either to a unique hardware combination or a very small user base. HD is already distributing maps for the general SERT user, so providing a bike specific map to the user who paid to have the work done shouldn't even be an issue.

Unless of course a tuner is just using a stock map on your bike without doing a good dyno tune and simply doesn't want to get caught by letting you see the map........

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, HD of Richmond says they give out the map at the end of a Dyno tune, if the customer asks for it. Pro Street Cycles down in Richmond says they dyno tune with the SERT and deliver the map at the end. Pro Street sounded pretty easy to work with on the phone. Anybody have any experience with them?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts