V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '06 Screamin' Chicken Ultra (California bike). Great bike, fabulous, but plan on installing Rineharts, obviously requiring some sort of download; I've decided to use the SERT kit. But there seems to be some conjecture on its use (especially in California) One dealer rep. told me not to use this kit, because once you use it, it "imprints" information into the ECM which may void any subsequent engine warranty issues, because this part has been designated for race application only. Let's say the motor grenades; this guy was saying, basically, that a dealer will be able to tell that the SERT was used, because, again, it imprints some sort of computer language into the ECM, thereby negating warranty replacement. Okay, this is kind of problematic...

On the other hand, the dealer I bought the bike from told me that all that happens when you install the SERT (for the first time) is actually the other way around. He said that the ECM imprints information pertinent to the vehicle's VIN into the SERT, thereby making it only work for this bike. He said they use the SERT all the time (preferring it over the Power Commander) because it's a much more versatile application. He said there's no such thing as what I've previously described, not to worry.

I'm not freaking out by any stretch of the imagination. I've used Power Commanders on previous bikes I've owned, with good results. It's just time for something new, and I've heard good things about the SERT.

Does anyone know what the skinny is on this deal?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
ICMC Geezer

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
ICMC Geezer said:
I have an '06 Screamin' Chicken Ultra (California bike). Great bike, but plan on installing Rineharts, obviously requiring the SERT kit. One dealer rep. told me not to use this kit, because once you use it, it "imprints" information into the ECM which may void any subsequent warranty issues, because this part has been designated for race applications only. Let's say the motor grenades; this guy was saying, basically, that a dealer will be able to tell that the SERT was used, because, again, it imprints some sort of computer language into the ECM, thereby negating warranty replacement.

The dealer I bought the bike from told me that all that happens when you install the SERT (for the first time) is actually the other way around. He said that the ECM imprints information pertinent to the vehicle's VIN into the SERT, thereby making it only work for this bike. He said they use the SERT all the time (preferring it over the Power Commander) because it's a much more versatile application.

I'm not freaking out by any stretch of the imagination. I've used Power Commanders on previous bikes I've owned, with good results. It's just time for something new.

Does anyone know what the skinny is on this deal?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
ICMC Geezer
I've never heard anything like that. In fact, my dealer recommends the SERT over anything else because: a. It's a Harley product, and b. I was told the PC can go TU and you're bike won't start or do anything. Don't know how true that is because (refer to A).
They installed the SERT and didn't mention anything related to voiding the warranty.

Maybe you should find a different dealer. :chopper:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind. If you change the Cal ID there will be an indication of the ECM being modified; and, alternately, with a different map in the ECM it will be obvious to anyone who checks that you made a change. Other than that, someone else may know whether the ECM keeps a history code log of when changes are made to it.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
ICMC Geezer said:
I've decided to use the SERT kit. But there seems to be some conjecture on its use (especially in California)

On the other hand, the dealer I bought the bike from told me that all that happens when you install the SERT (for the first time) is actually the other way around. He said that the ECM imprints information pertinent to the vehicle's VIN into the SERT, thereby making it only work for this bike.

ICMC Geezer
The SERT can only be used on one ECU. Once used it is married to that ECU. I would stick with the Power Commander unless you plan on big engine upgrades later.

My email to Harley:
I heard there is some kind of problem with SE Race Tuner 32107-01D and Calif and the 32107-01D would soon be obsolete. Wait for 32107-01E?

Answer:
Yes, Harley is changing the number to: 32107-01E, estimated release date 3/22/06

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
As soon as you use the SERT, the ECM sends the VIN and other bike specific information, at least that is what I read in the book. So, only one bike may use any one SERT.

You may want to take a look at the After Market Exhaust threads, there's a lot of info in there about the SERT and other pieces of gear like it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm a tech, have used a SERT. "Downloads" have what was previously referred to as a "Calibration ID". When the dealership downloads a Stage 1, for example, the Calibration ID is changed from the stock one, to the Stage 1 version. All downloads have a Calibration ID, and the currently loaded download (its Calibration ID) can be viewed using Digital Technician.

When you do a download with SERT, it also sets the Calibration ID, and they look very different from the Digital Tech ones. So yes, it is possible for someone to see that you used a SERT to reflash your ECM.

And because the SERT is SO programmable, it is very possible for someone to make changes to a map and end up screwing the bike up (making it so lean it caused detonation to occur for example), then download a "stock like" map and say "I didn't do anything!".

It's a tough call there...

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
If you modify a bike under the factory warranty with part (i.e sert) designated for race use only, technically the factory doesn't have to warrant defects in the bike caused by its use. "I think everyone knows this, don't they?"

Since we all interface with the factory through dealers, the dealer has a large imapact on whether a warranty claim is honored or challenged. If the "digital technician" that dealers use is as good as everyone believes, it should be hard for a dealer to show that an ECM has been modified. ECM modification is valid grounds for warranty denial.

But! it depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
chas2379 said:
My email to Harley:
I heard there is some kind of problem with SE Race Tuner 32107-01D and Calif and the 32107-01D would soon be obsolete. Wait for 32107-01E?

Answer:
Yes, Harley is changing the number to: 32107-01E, estimated release date 3/22/06
The only "problem" with the D suffix SERT concerns the 8 vs. 25 degree injector screw up. The E version addresses that. D version works fine for 2005and earlier.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
ChopperDude said:
I'm a tech, have used a SERT. "Downloads" have what was previously referred to as a "Calibration ID". When the dealership downloads a Stage 1, for example, the Calibration ID is changed from the stock one, to the Stage 1 version. All downloads have a Calibration ID, and the currently loaded download (its Calibration ID) can be viewed using Digital Technician.

When you do a download with SERT, it also sets the Calibration ID, and they look very different from the Digital Tech ones. So yes, it is possible for someone to see that you used a SERT to reflash your ECM.

And because the SERT is SO programmable, it is very possible for someone to make changes to a map and end up screwing the bike up (making it so lean it caused detonation to occur for example), then download a "stock like" map and say "I didn't do anything!".

It's a tough call there...
The ques I have though, since it appears that the user can modify the SERT Cal ID as for his/her personally created table, is assuming you stick with the same Cal ID name as the stock map, is there another way that the Digital Tech tracks the history of the ECM other than looking at the current Cal ID?

Ostensibly a user who started with a Stage I map could load his/her new map using the same Cal ID as the original Stage I, or load a new map and before taking the bike back in for service, reload the original Stage I map from the SERT provided disk of maps. Any other tracking codes in an ECM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I know about the E version of the SERT; have it coming from Chicago HD (20% off and no tax). I've also heard about the injectors, which seems to have been corrected, and I know I have the larger ones on the 103 motor.
So, thanks to all who replied to my query; the information has been helpful.
Sincerely,
ICMC Geezer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.