V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bolted a set of Rineheart true duals and a SE/ AC on my 06' RK. All I've heard about the SERT "canned" maps is that you have to adjust them, but I just decided that I would try the one that I thought was close to what I'm running, anyway it seems to run great. Now this is just normal riding and the temp. is around 60 degrees F. but the bike runs good. This is my first attempt at programming with the SERT, so should I just leave it alone and ride, I know this is to good to be true. Opinions please.:brows:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
If the "canned map" was close to your bike's setup and you are happy the way it runs, I would leave it alone. I think a lot of people get the SERT as they can change the mappings again once they change heads, cams, etc. whereas they couldn't with just a download. On my bike I have just a std download and I am happy with the way it runs for the pipes and air cleaner that I have.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I guess what I was wanting was an opinion of what is too lean for a Harley. Last bike I had was an old Triumph, years ago that ran too lean and burned a hole in the right piston. Don't want that to happen again if possible. The bike runs good, but so did the Triumph. I'll put a few more miles on it and then do a plug check and see whats going on.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
ride4daze said:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess what I was wanting was an opinion of what is too lean for a Harley. Last bike I had was an old Triumph, years ago that ran too lean and burned a hole in the right piston. Don't want that to happen again if possible. The bike runs good, but so did the Triumph. I'll put a few more miles on it and then do a plug check and see whats going on.
ride: don't think you have to worry about running too lean with an unmodified map that's correct for you setup. This should prevent any problems:

Ion Sensing System

This system uses ion-sensing technology to detect detonation or engine misfire in either the front or rear cylinder by monitoring the electrical energy at the spark plug following every timed spark. If an abnormal level of energy is detected across 2 or 3 spark firings the ECM responds by retarding spark timing in the problem cylinder as needed to eliminate it.
If you really want to take advantage of what the SERT has to offer, then dive into using the Data Record Mode. Read the Help files along with the SERT Manual. Read it many times! ;)

A simple Data Recording will tell you chapters on the performance of you bike.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts