V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered the idle speed on 05' DWG using the sert and the canned stage 1 map, and was wondering about the IAC steps... Do I need to also reduce the number of steps and appropriate percentage to match the idle adjustements?? It idles much lower now and still sounds good, no hesitation or stalling tendencies. Idling 904 from 48-160temp. and 872 from 176-208. May go a bit lower but waiting for the warmer temps to get here so I can see where she sits normally temp wise.

Also, with relation to the Decel Enleanment, up until the 32 degree box, it's set to 0.00. When I first take off, the bike has a nice backrap when shifting gears, even at low RPM. As it warms this goes away, I would like to keep it. Can I lower the other temp. ranges back closer to 0 to achieve this?? What will this adversely effect if anything?

I plan to take it out and do some datalogging when the weather warms up enuf for a high speed run, but until then all other areas of the map are the stage 1 standard.

Thanks
Brad

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I would only mess with the IAC if the motor is surging or 'hunting' for the desired idle speed. If it is sounding fine, just choppy like a harley should, you should be ok like you are. If it sounds like the idle rpm is surging, like a sine wave, you will need to increase the IAC gradualy until that condition goes away.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the school of thought I was leaning towards.
It's not quite "choppy" yet, so I may go a tad lower, but like I said, it's hard to judge when the ambient is 40 degrees and I know the bike isn't running very hot in town.
We'll see what summer brings.

Thanks for the answer
Brad

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
This is a rather old thread but I thought I would wake it back up again. My question: Is there another way to adjust the idle without the SERT or an alternative to the SERT. (I think a PCIII will do it???)

I can't stand the price of the SERT or the PCIII. The DFO (which isn't exactly the same) is a much better option but I don't think it will adjust the idle. My idle is too high and is not "choppy" like I want it to be. Bike does shake like beast though.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your stealer has tool to do it with, but then you'd be better off buying the sert. And I don't think they'll lower it under the recommended setting.
The PCIII doesn't offer idle adjustment, and I don't have any idea about the DFO. If your looking for a sert keep an eye on ebay, as there are many on there from time to time, but be smart with purchases. I got mine NIB for $325, couldn't pass it up.

I've got mine at 824 in the operating range, nice and choppy. ~!Awesome!

Brad

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Brad, I'd be afraid of that low of an idle speed unless you have a Baisley oil spring...you may be starving the top end of oil pressure.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be getting the spring with my 98" kit soon. :banana:

But as I stated earlier, I don't have to worry about alot of idleing around here, there's no traffic..

I do understand your point, and will be putting on an oil guage with the engine upgrade, and see where I'm at.

Brad

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Thanks for the info Brad. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you guys. I've had a few busy weeks and well I just forgot about the forum for a while. I wonder if I can buy this tool that the stealer uses.. Prolly not and if I did it'd probably cost as much as the SERT. I think I'll scope out ebay and then catch the wife on a good day to see if she'll let me buy it! :whistle:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
"Also, with relation to the Decel Enleanment, up until the 32 degree box, it's set to 0.00. When I first take off, the bike has a nice backrap when shifting gears, even at low RPM. As it warms this goes away, I would like to keep it. Can I lower the other temp. ranges back closer to 0 to achieve this?? What will this adversely effect if anything?"

Uhhh, you're asking how adjusting the Decel Enleanment table affects acceleration? Or when you say "When I first take off" do you mean "taking off the throttle?"

Setting the whole Decel Enleanment table to 0 is one way to reduce or even eliminate popping at idle throttle when slowing. Setting them all to 0 won't hurt anything, all you are doing is adding a touch of fuel at/near 0 throttle position. It should have little or no affect when up-shifting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts