V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a SERT and got the “E” version. The dealer at which I purchased the bike only had the “D” version. I was able to find the latest version at Wabash Valley HD, 70 miles away.

Now for my questions. I have installed Stage I air filter and Rinehart slip-on mufflers and am considering changing injectors to the 25” type used in the latest 06 builds. If I am going to have the bike dyno-tuned, does it matter if the dealer has only then the “D” version loaded if the map is going to be custom built?

Second question. Local dealer will charge 6 hours @ $75 dollars and hour to dyno. Wabash will charge half that to do the same work at their dealership. Am I better off to get ripped off at the dealer at which I bought the bike in the event of warranty work being required in the future, or do I go to Wabash and take my chances? If warranty work was ever required, I can envision the dealer saying the dyno work was not performed correctly and that is the basis for the engine damage in the event it might ever happen.

HELP, I don’t like being &^%ed! I just completed some basic mechanical work because the labor hours they wanted to charge were twice what they should have been (slip-ons, shocks and air cleaner @ 3 hrs.).
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
52Norm said:
I just purchased a SERT and got the “E” version. The dealer at which I purchased the bike only had the “D” version. I was able to find the latest version at Wabash Valley HD, 70 miles away.

Now for my questions. I have installed Stage I air filter and Rinehart slip-on mufflers and am considering changing injectors to the 25” type used in the latest 06 builds. If I am going to have the bike dyno-tuned, does it matter if the dealer has only then the “D” version loaded if the map is going to be custom built?

Second question. Local dealer will charge 6 hours @ $75 dollars and hour to dyno. Wabash will charge half that to do the same work at their dealership. Am I better off to get ripped off at the dealer at which I bought the bike in the event of warranty work being required in the future, or do I go to Wabash and take my chances? If warranty work was ever required, I can envision the dealer saying the dyno work was not performed correctly and that is the basis for the engine damage in the event it might ever happen.

HELP, I don’t like being &^%ed! I just completed some basic mechanical work because the labor hours they wanted to charge were twice what they should have been (slip-ons, shocks and air cleaner @ 3 hrs.).
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
They will take 6 hours to dyno tune your bike????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fatb0y said:
They will take 6 hours to dyno tune your bike????
That's consistent with the three hours they quoted me for the shocks, Stage I air cleaner and and slip-on's which took me a little over an hour to do myself.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Make sure John at Wabash Valley does it.
You'll get a better tune to boot, and they can do warranty work just like Indy West can.
And tell John I said "hi".
You might want to check w/ trackstar55 on this board as well if you have any reservations about WVHD.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I'll just tell ya, warranty work is as good as your dealer, some will and some won't, mine will cover putting in cams, the dealer next to me won't, I would check with the dealer that is cheaper and if they will cover the warranty go to them, doesn't matter where you bought the bike, my -2$en#e-

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Leave the injectors alone. Have the dealer (Wabash) install the SERT, download the Stage 1 map and tweak the fuel tables slightly. Shouldn't take but an hour at the most on the dyno for a Stage 1. A highly mod'd stroker only takes 2.5 - 3 hours tops.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed the stage one map on my 06 Street Glide.
Was told by Frederick, Maryland HD steeler that the
tune would be $30 and about 6 hours.
I not ready to spend that. MMG tells me that should only be
2 hours max to tune with a GOOD SERT tuner person.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
With all due respect to csoday, WVHD will charge, IIRC, $239 or thereabouts to completely dyno tune your bike to 13.5 AFR, and they will do it right. If you just want it "close" I'm not sure they'll even do it, as they take quite a bit of pride in their work and want the bikes to leave there "right", not just "better than stock". There are quite a few threads on here that give you what you need to tweak some SERT settings yourself to get a bike that runs better than stock, and you can use the 1550 stage I map w/ your setup as well, if you don't want to fool with it. But to get what your bike has to offer, IMHO a dyno tune by a good SERT tech is just what the doctor ordered.

YMMV, Caveat Emptor, Objects in Mirror are Closer than they Appear, etc.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
OK then, dump Wabash. If a dealer needs more than an hour on the Dyno to tweak a Stage 1 to make it "right", he is screwing you. Like Mega says there is enough info on this sight to do it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts