V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,FNG here. I would like to throw a hypothetical question out there. Let's say that your SERT modified ECM failed and needed replacement. As I recall the SERT picks up the serial # of the ECM and locks onto it. Here comes the theoretical part. After replacement of the defective ECM the SERT would no longer recognize the ECM and fail to link. What now? I threw this past my local dealer, he believes that it would be necessary to purchase a new SERT as well. Has anybody had to deal with this situation and how was it resolved?
Oh, and thanks for a great site, there is a lot of very interesting(and sometimes a little insane) stuff going on here.......Bill

·
Registered
473 Posts
Been there.. Done that... You need both from what I learned. It really does suck!

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
The dealer you purchase the new ECM from is also capable of using the "Digital Technician" tool to program your same VIN into the new ECM. Then your existing SERT should work with with the new ECM. At least that is the theory. You may have to have the dealer do the ECM swap and you may have to give up the bad ECM. Also depending on the actual ECM problem, it may be possible for the dealer to put a stock flash back into the ECM thus restoring it to original working condition, unless of course the ECM is just plain fried.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
springer- said:
The dealer you purchase the new ECM from is also capable of using the "Digital Technician" tool to program your same VIN into the new ECM. Then your existing SERT should work with with the new ECM. At least that is the theory. You may have to have the dealer do the ECM swap and you may have to give up the bad ECM. Also depending on the actual ECM problem, it may be possible for the dealer to put a stock flash back into the ECM thus restoring it to original working condition, unless of course the ECM is just plain fried.
Thanks Springer. Earlier versions of the SERT did not use the VIN, they aparrently used the serial number of the ECM for ID. I had a couple of units that I installed somewhere around '03 that required me to take the bike to the dealer to have the VIN programmed in. Thats why I'm thinking that the VIN is not necessarily what the SERT is looking for, ay least not in earlier versions.....Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jrafter said:
My ECM failed and the dealer replaced SERT and ECM at no cost....Harley covers it.
Gotta love that warranty. Unfortunately most of the bikes that I'm working on are not under warranty....Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nw_guy4_fun said:
Emmission related components carry additional warenty courtesy of the US Government. Ths includes the ECM
I wonder if the government makes them cover the "tampering device" also. I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.