V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately won't be able to buy my new EG Standard due to house renovations and a new baby. But, I still have my Softail and my wife and I decided that we will buy another one in 4-5 years (once the cars are paid off). Anyone have a prediction of what the bikes will be like in terms of styling, smog, price etc.? The reason I ask is that I love the EG Standard's look as it is now. It's simplistic, stripped down for personalization and it's relatively inexpensive. on the Softails, I see that they're beginning to change looks, such as wider rear tires, different rims and so on.
Thanks

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
In 5 years you should be able to find a really good deal on the 05 RG that you like. Most likely you will find one that is all stock with only 2000 miles on it and it will be just what you're looking for at a reasonable price.

In 2010, it will be water cooled, plastic engine, 4 cyl with 27 lbs TQ and 33 HP..... at least thats my guess.

All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers. Each anothers audiences outside the gilded cage..

I think thats how it goes

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm going to get an AWESOME deal on a 2005 Ultra when I get to buy a second HD in the year 2015. :D

You know, I never looked at it that way before... but I bet any Ultra's I find will actually have lots of miles on them.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Nice thing is you can always maintain them. Theres not alot to a bike. Motor, tranny, drive and elecs. Find one with low miles or find one with high miles and redo it.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
czar
You know, I never looked at it that way before... but I bet any Ultra's I find will actually have lots of miles on them.
You will be able to find a low milage Ultra, I have seen them on trailers at the rallies. Not everybody rides them.:265:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I agree with what has been said about finding a used one. There will be great used bikes out there. I disagree about future bikes. We might see a water cooled HD, but if so, it will be a kickass bike. I have faith in the moco's ability to produce great bikes. I've never seen a HD I wouldn't be proud to own, and I don't think that will ever change. As for the EPA - if they start doing surprise smog checks, then we might be in trouble. As long as they don't sniff, or only sniff on a known date, well just say this - whatever goes on can come off and whatever comes off can go back on again. There will always be aftermarket parts, both for looks and performance for HDs.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
LittleBear said:
You will be able to find a low milage Ultra, I have seen them on trailers at the rallies. Not everybody rides them.:265:
:thumbsup:

There is hope then! I forgot how many trailered Ultras I saw at Sturgis last year... heck, come to think of it, I remember a bunch being trailered to bike week here, and they had in-state plates.

well... not down on the trailer people, I know everyone has different circumstances, handicaps, time-tables ect. I think the only way I could get my wife to ride out to SD with me, would be to trailer... I'm sure one of these days I'll get tired of riding alone, or she'll want me to get an Ultra so she can have her tunes / truck space and be comfortable.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You WILL see water-cooled V-twin engines in touring bikes within that time frame. They WILL have approximately 15-25% more power than current models. You MAY see a V-Rod type engine pushing a touring bike (4 valves per cylinder). The first two sentences I am 98% confident in, the third sentence, about 50% confident. I hate to break my vow of silence but I was involved in a marketing research study by HD and that is definitely the direction they are headed-that I am sure of.

Now for some opinion-they will phase in the water cooling over a couple of years as an added cost option, just like EFI.

P.S. I was the only one in a large group of people that said I would not want a water cooled HD. Everyone else said that's what they would want and some non-HD riders said they would only buy an HD if it was water-cooled-all the more reason for HD to convert over.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think the older bikes will be going at premium prices. EPA is implementing some major changes and it looks like Congress will be passing some pretty restrictive legislation on future bikes. Aftermarket modifications will be limited and the moco will probably lock up anyones ability to adjust the efi. I know the only 06 bagger with a carb is the standard and I was told no 07's will be carbed. I don't think you'll even be able to change the pipes on the newer models, Loud pipes may save lives but the majority voting public doesn't think so.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last year I bought my '00 FLHT with only 7000 miles on it for a great price, so that's about the same as your time frame.

I expect (and want) a bigger displacement V-rod type motor tuned for torque in an EG that looks pretty similar to how it looks now. I'll be buying one and so will lots of other riders, so there should be plenty of air cooled Glides on the market.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
My riding style and taste in bikes hasn't really changed over the years. With one proviso; I just don't ride in the rain anymore.

(During the club years, you couldn't pry me off of a bike during my leisure time. One summer it rained every weekend, and my colors and leather jacket never dried until autumn).

I openly admit that I am now a sport rider. I like bikes like Super Glides and 1200 cc Sportsters. Most of my riding is a breeze, and if I want to make a longer trip with my friends I'm reasonably comfortable.

I do enjoy the added power and torque I have in my current 95-inch engine.

I think that as my new business gets more profitable, and adulthood finally finds me, I might go more towards the comfort route.

I could see me on a 103-inch (or perhaps by that time a Jims) CVO Fat Boy with striking colors and lots of chrome.

It would be stock for easy service, comfortable (enough) to ride on the occasional trip and yet see the needs of just being a sports bike.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
springer- said:
In 5 years you should be able to find a really good deal on the 05 RG that you like. Most likely you will find one that is all stock with only 2000 miles on it and it will be just what you're looking for at a reasonable price.

In 2010, it will be water cooled, plastic engine, 4 cyl with 27 lbs TQ and 33 HP..... at least thats my guess.

All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers. Each anothers audiences outside the gilded cage..

I think thats how it goes

Why, ahhh, yes, and to add to what Springer said, before taking a ride on your 2010 HD, you will have to e-mail the EPA and California CARB for an access code to enter into the keypad on the tank.

Unfortunately, the EPA iis frequently overworked writing their extremely worthy and socially-conscious rules and regulations so they will be backed up and it will usually take three to four days to get the access code. Once you do get it, you merely input it into the key pad. If it has been at least 30 days since the last time you took a ride, the access code will permit engine start and motorcycle usage. If it has been less than 30 days, you are basically screwed and must wait until the time has passed. Unfortunately, the access code only works one time and when the 30 days since the prior usage of the bike has passed, it is necessary to e-mail them again (remember, the two to three day wait) and get a fresh code. which may or may not work depending on how they feel about it.

All of this is designed so as to prevent excess motorcycling in your area because the EPA, after exhaustive public polls done by the democratic party at the request of Michael Moore, Rob "Meathead" Reiner, Bruce Springsteen, Al Gore and Barbra Streisand, has discovered that motorcycles are responsible for global warming, the war in Iraq and also an excess of hurricanes. Furthermore, since the incredible increase in pedestrian traffic in most cities due to the increase of the price of gasoline to $39.95 per liter, there has been an influx of available donated organs so that the organs from motorcyclists, which were formerly the only source for human transplants are no longer needed. Thus, the strict controls on motorcycling.

Sorry about all of this but nothing can be done.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Yep. This about says it all. When the MoCo puts a modified V-Rod engine into a touring platform, I'll ride H/D again. Right now, I'll stay with the Wing.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
The Tourist said:
...(During the club years, you couldn't pry me off of a bike during my leisure time. One summer it rained every weekend, and my colors and leather jacket never dried until autumn)...
LOLl I used to ride with a club up north and we showed up soggy so much to other club's events that they dubbed us the "Rain Rider's MC" :D

I wish I could say I was over it but rain is a part of life here in FL, especially in the summer time when it storms pretty hard every day for an hour or so right around the time ehwn you are driving home from work ;). Hey, we can always take the truck....NOT! :)

Anyway, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, puit me down for an '07-'08 water-cooled, 4-valve, 100hp, EFI, Road Glide.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
5 out 5 funnies for that post

newultraclassic said:
Why, ahhh, yes, and to add to what Springer said, before taking a ride on your 2010 HD, you will have to e-mail the EPA and California CARB for an access code to enter into the keypad on the tank.

Unfortunately, the EPA iis frequently overworked writing their extremely worthy and socially-conscious rules and regulations so they will be backed up and it will usually take three to four days to get the access code. Once you do get it, you merely input it into the key pad. If it has been at least 30 days since the last time you took a ride, the access code will permit engine start and motorcycle usage. If it has been less than 30 days, you are basically screwed and must wait until the time has passed. Unfortunately, the access code only works one time and when the 30 days since the prior usage of the bike has passed, it is necessary to e-mail them again (remember, the two to three day wait) and get a fresh code. which may or may not work depending on how they feel about it.

All of this is designed so as to prevent excess motorcycling in your area because the EPA, after exhaustive public polls done by the democratic party at the request of Michael Moore, Rob "Meathead" Reiner, Bruce Springsteen, Al Gore and Barbra Streisand, has discovered that motorcycles are responsible for global warming, the war in Iraq and also an excess of hurricanes. Furthermore, since the incredible increase in pedestrian traffic in most cities due to the increase of the price of gasoline to $39.95 per liter, there has been an influx of available donated organs so that the organs from motorcyclists, which were formerly the only source for human transplants are no longer needed. Thus, the strict controls on motorcycling.

Sorry about all of this but nothing can be done.

:)
NUC,
Just how many times have you watched "GATTICA" and "MINORITY REPORT" ?
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had no idea that so many people are really wanting a water cooled HD Bagger.

If it does come to this, I hope they sell the living hell out of them and drive the price of Twinkies and Evos even further down.

I'm looking forward to 2015, sitting in traffic at the Holland tunnle on a hot summer day on my old carbed evo or on a "new to me" Carbed Twinkie and watching the new HD's overheat, blow thermostats and hear the Hisss as the radiators leak out right next to the *** cruisers and rice rockets that I see it happen to every summer.

Should be interesting.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rant Rant Rant, piss and moan, etc.

I couldn't believe how many people (all but me) in the focus group wanted a water-cooled Harley and half of the *** riders said they would consider an HD if it was water-cooled. Almost makes me sick! No, does make me sick. I realize what the EPA is and what it does. I've been in the automotive business for almost 15 years but that doesn't mean that I need to accept and even welcome every change with open arms. Yes, I'm resisting change. So what! An air-cooled, carbed HD sounds good, looks good and is cheap(er) and easier to work on. I know FI is here to stay and carb's will be gone soon. I've accepted that but do we really need full-on water cooling? An alternative is oil cooling which is nearly invisible and would allow the engine to safely run higher compression ratios and make more power. Smooth engines will big-ass radiators don't look like HD engines to me. I'm with the bro's that will be buying TC's and EVO's when all the other people are selling their's to buy the new crap.

I'll start putting my change in the "Harley Fund" jar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts