V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not the first guy to use a .590 lift cam with easy-install pushrods, but my front exhaust (and rear exhaust to lesser extent) is rubbing the top inner aluminum tube like crazy. The front tube is rubbed very thin where that fat-assed part of the easy-install pushrod goes up and down. These look just like the crane timesavers, which is what I ordered before J&P decided to change my f-ing order. Not that it would be any better with the cranes.

Examining adjustables more closely, all of the type that allow install from the side have this big fat-assed bulbous area near the adjuster. The adjustables that still need to be dropped in from the top look thinner. But aside from that, why do these f-kers rub so much? How do I fix it? I can't imagine there is enough slop in the head-cylinder fit to allow misalignment of the head. I don't recall how much slop there was in the rocker support (evo three-layer boxes). And I didn't check whether the rub was on the side of the tube facing the rider or the side facing the front tire.

I'd really rather not buy another set of rods if I can make these fit without knocking chips off of the aluminum inner (top) tubes. Any advice?

Chilly

·
Registered
487 Posts
shorten the top inner tube .050 more than the rub this problem is common with those kind of lift nubers also to help in future when you install the lower box evo or rocker support on TC use 2 lifter block alignments screw to line it up or 2, 1/4 20 taper head screws to line them up install the rest of the hardware and replace with the original stuff

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Otto. I did use the alignment do-dads for the tappet blocks. That leaves either misalignment of rods at the rockers (funky valve stem height or lower rocker box segment misalignment) or misalignment of tubes. Tube misalignment seems unlikely given that the head and cyl dowels don't have much slop. And I used the aligmnent screws on the tappet blocks. The rubbing rods are exactly as I'd expect, front exhaust worst with a little rubbing on rear exh, no rubbing on intakes.

Won't trimming a lot off the inner tubes allow them to wander around? Cutting them back had occurred to me but I was afraid the telescopic length would be too short to keep them from wiggling around. But if you tell me it's common I believe it. I had planned to change to the non-easy-install adjustables, which seem to have a much smaller diameter adjuster area, but I really don't want to pull the tank and rocker boxes. I guess I'll cut the two exhaust tubes and call it good. Maybe I'll change rods next year if I pull the heads for inspection.

Regards,
Chilly

·
Registered
487 Posts
no prob but it is a very common problem for all ez install type pushrods the amount you will be removing wont be enough to change the sealling of the tube you can verify how much to take off by just inserting the top tube leaving the lower out adjust up the rod and turn the motor to full valve lift and take just enought to get past the fat spot so to speak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts