V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m new to the forum and although I’ve read many conversations about various topics, this is my first post or whatever you call it.
Before I ask, I’d like to request that you please no not reply saying “don’t do this” or asking why, or any similar non-answer. I know some people on forums live to jump on a person’s case but I’m asking because I also know most of you here are very helpful.

Ok- I have a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic that I’m playing with and I’m going to run it without the ECM and TSSM. I’m doing the wiring from scratch and going to make the harness as basic as possible with as few wires as possible. A stand-alone ignition system and carburetor (yeah- Oh No, not a carburetor!!! -save those comments please) are being employed to help simplify things.

The question is- Will the stock speedo and tach work without the ECM and without the Serial Data Link (LGN/V) wire going to them? If not, is there something I can do to emulate the signal or current running in this wire?

I do not understand these electronics, and have no room in my tiny brain for information about this crap and I need to be able to understand as much as possible on this bike. I do understand carburetors and already had a carbureted touring Harley previously that would do 45-50 mpg with good power but the driver of a car caused it to be totaled.

I can’t find anything about this serial data crap anywhere and I’m hoping someone here can help me out.

Thank you!!
Font Material property Paper Parallel Document

Font Line Parallel Schematic Pattern

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, first response out of the gate is someone that wants to stroke their ego. Fun.
Not that you deserve a response but I’ll play. Just this once.
1) The ignition issue is taken care of. Not a problem.
2) Why do you assume I haven’t taken a motorcycle safety course? I did take one around 35 years ago then took the msf advanced course after that.
3) Doing this stuff is actually enjoyable and quells the headaches I’ve had since a cager pulled in front of me several years ago. Besides that, it makes my riding experience more enjoyable when I’m riding a bike that is set up for me.
4) I’m not a hoarder so I don’t hang on to garbage and I really don’t care when someone talks about me behind my back. Talking behind one’s back usually occurs because of the talkee and not the subject of the talk. Some people just need to try to knock others down to their level. No worry for me.
5) I re-read my post and i didn’t mention dicking around. Replying to technical questions with irrelevant remarks has more of a semblance to dicking around, no?
With that said, you were (very) mildly amusing but I’m done with you. Unless you’d like to meet me somewhere so you can say things directly to me.
Hugs and kisses,
FD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure the answer is no. The VSS sents signal to the ecm. Then the ecm sends serial data to the speedo over the serial bus. Same with the tach, that signal is also serial data from the ecm.

I think you'll need to find a set of gauges for an older system that will fit that nacelle.

The ecm also controlls the system relay. And that supplies power to most of the non engine systems on the scooter. You can prolly work around that by rewiring it to latch under power, insted of under ground from the ecm.
Excellent. Thank you very much Thermodyne. Very helpful information.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts