V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son Jesse is selling his father's brand new 2003 Dyna Glide he inherited. My son is in Colorado and the bike is in Oregon but he plans on going to Oregon in a few weeks. His father only got to ride the bike for less than 1 month. Had the engine bored out. A friend suggested putting it on E-Bay. Any suggestions? What should he post the price at?

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
228 Posts
Research cycletrader.com, harley-davidson.com under their used bike section, and ebay for price compares. A good dealer will also help place a value on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have him get an appraisal of the bike from someone who is certified and then list the bike for 80% of the appraised value there (if he wants to move it quick) on www.traderonline.com -they are a good place to move a bike- also tell him to find any paperwork on and servives/ add ons there might be and get them too. If the local dealership did it ask for copies of the service records- have him say he is getting the bike and taking it home and wants a copy of all records.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Harley Shop that sold Jesse's Dad Chris the bike is holding the bike as a favor to Jesse until Jesse either sells it or picks it up. They did all the work on the bike and Chris paid cash. I'm trying to get some idea's for my son, but I want him to handle everything himself. He's 23 and needs to learn how to do this kind of stuff. Just want to give him some pointers and then turn it over to him.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would price the value of the bike in Colorado , Oregon and Calif.
The msrp would be the same but demand is the key to the true value of the bike. Colorado Dealers last year where marking everything up dramatically while Calif had a lot of MSRP deals especially for non softtails.
Ebay is NOT a good place to determine a bikes value, that is the place to get a deal.
With spring just around the corner and it sounds like a nice bike, I 'd advertise locally in Denver area / cycle trader / newspaper for a 2003 you should get close to msrp , its still a new bike. see if you can offer a transferable warranty from HD

Detail the bike so it is super nice and it will move.

( An arbitrery question, dosen't he ride?) GOOD lUCK

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
highrider said:
I would price the value of the bike in Colorado , Oregon and Calif.
The msrp would be the same but demand is the key to the true value of the bike. Colorado Dealers last year where marking everything up dramatically while Calif had a lot of MSRP deals especially for non softtails.
Ebay is NOT a good place to determine a bikes value, that is the place to get a deal.
With spring just around the corner and it sounds like a nice bike, I 'd advertise locally in Denver area / cycle trader / newspaper for a 2003 you should get close to msrp , its still a new bike. see if you can offer a transferable warranty from HD

Detail the bike so it is super nice and it will move.

( An arbitrery question, dosen't he ride?) GOOD lUCK
Thanks highrider - Good point on selling in Colorado.

My son Jesse has rode only the ATV I bought him when he was a kid. And been on a sportster less than 25 miles. He's been looking at the pictures and realizes it's to much bike for him. Right now he does not have a car so he is going to and from work on the bus. He needs a car. Plus he has a half sister (from another woman) that legally I feel is entitled to half of the bike. He wants to sell the bike and I've talked him into putting half of what he gets for it in a trust fund for his half sister (it's the RIGHT thing to do) she's 15 now and give her the money when she's 21. He's called to tell her what he's going to do. So least she'll have a little money

Thanks again

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's a good boy you've got there, Cheri. No doubt you've brought him up right. Let him know someone on the board said so.

Chilly

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry to hear he can't keep his Dad's ride,but what he's doing is VERY admirable. Add another pat on the back and you must have did a good job in raising him.
Good Luck

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Ditto what Chilly and Mister Breee said. That's a good kid. I wish he could keep it also. I'm afraid down the road he may wish he had. Life isn't fair, you gotta do what you've gotta do. Good Luck to you all.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Ditto what Dawg said when he dittoed what Chilly and Mister Breeze said. You did a good job with the younguns.
Now as a reward send him your rebel and get your butt on the sporty:D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Cheri, I don't know why you and your ex split up but I bet it was not like the typical break ups. You are a very caring woman. I hope to someday meet you in person! Always, Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts