V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my ‘00 Night Train this weekend. I’ve seen not to allow test rides unless the potential buyer has full price cash in hand. This eliminates possible ride offs. What else should I be aware of if anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No test rides. Take it or leave it.

(Unless the full price in cash is in my pocket, they can come back for the title if they want, LOL)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I wouldn't even tell them where the bike is, just meet them somewhere, and get there late after checking the place out, or use a place like a dealer parking lot with lots of people and bikes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Offer a test ride only after you have settled on a price and have at least a deposit. If they find something wrong during the test ride, then the deals off. However, make it clear that the test ride is to find something mechanically faulty with the bike, not to find out that the bike doesn't "feel right for me". That's how I'd do it at least.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No test rides, unless 100% of the cash is in your pocket. If they want to see the mechanical condition, then let them pay the dealership to give it a once over.

Also, like others said, don't meet where you keep the bike. And when you goto meet the potential buyer, take a buddy or two with you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dang, some of you guys seem like you're describing how to exchange pounds of coke or weed with someone you don't know.(Sorry, had to say it) However, the advice sounds good. I never considered those terms when selling a bike, but definately makes sense. I guess I'm just a trusting country boy. J.T.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
hezgon said:
"........ I’ve seen not to allow test rides unless the potential buyer has full price cash in hand.
[/B]

Not enough information here to really comment on. When the guy says, "I've seen not to allow..." the implication is that this is some sort of a consingnment deal and someone else will be showing the bike.

There is no way I would buy a used bike without riding it. I would not be doing so just to check for mechanical either. It is important to know the bike suites the rider.

If you are going to be there then it is a judgement call of who ya let get on the thing.

Check ID. match it to the ownership of the car that they are in. Use you head and you will be fine. Dude is not going to PROPERLY identify himself and the rip ya off.

I would be more concerned with the less than serious dude that just wants to ride yer bike with no intention of buying so sixe the buyer up and see if he is just a flake.

Nobody is gonna be riding around with $15k in their pocket just because. A check is stupid for a deposit if you are worried about getting ripped. Paper and ink are pretty much free.

Create a written binding contract allowing for say 15 minutes. Have the person sign and write down his DL #. Take a picture of the dude and don't worry about it. If he rips ya off, tell your Insurance Agent he just bought a bike.

Personally, I would devise some sort of way to know the guy knows how to ride. Check the class on his DL, ask a buttload of questions, and use your head.

If you are leaving the bike somewhere on consingement, go home and watch the game.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm selling this thru my local news papers. The test ride problem is, 'what if they drop it?' Dealers don't allow test rides, you have to rent one to find out if you like it. I like the idea of meeting the buyer in a public parking lot with a friend. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Dealers have demos to test ride!:D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Meet outside your local Sheriff's office, With a friend or three (carrying concealed weapons) Act all casual and COOL.
Ask for ID, then go into the sheriff, ask him politely to check out this ID and see if its OEM or FAKE! Get him to cross ref. this ID with the licence plate #.
If its OEM take whoever for a test ride (with him/her as passenger) while your friends hold his wife/friend, friends HOSTAGE!!!) (Get his car/bike keys, hide them behind the toilet in the sheriffs loo beforehand so they can't go anywhere) This should cover you if he gets nastie on the ride.
If his ID is FAKE (I forgot to tell you, that sports bag FULL of DOPE you got in your trunk, plant it beforehand 'in' or near his transport) INFORM the sheriff Immediately as to the presence of this nastie substance!!!
Now if this guy has FAKE ID, then they must be up to no good!
A wise move after informing the sheriff of said substance, STAY in the office while the sheriff arrests these people outside!!! (VERY important that part)
AFTER the shootout (get the cctv video to watch later) go out, retrieve your dope, Take all his money, (if the thieving git HAD ANY in the first place) Get on that scoot of yours...........

AND sell it in e-bay! :D :D :D Buyer pays postage!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Harleyhog, Do you ever ride? Sounds like you lay around all day dreaming up these wild scenarios:D LOL

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
Thanks Harleyhog -- I just pee'd myself laughing.... :eek:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
fourhour said:
Harleyhog, Do you ever ride? Sounds like you lay around all day dreaming up these wild scenarios:D LOL
Ya learn these things from experience, heehee. :D

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
harleyhog said:
Meet outside your local Sheriff's office, With a friend or three (carrying concealed weapons)

Oh yeah, this is a GREAT idea. LMAO!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
wyodude said:

Oh yeah, this is a GREAT idea. LMAO!
Great idea to CONCEAL THEM! Shuuuccsssh,,,don't tell anybody! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought my bike from a German guy that owns the local biker bar. I wanted to take it for a test ride and he said come back Monday and you can ride it (battery was dead), so I go back on Monday and I tell him I will just go up the street and come back and he goes (in my best big ass biker German voice) "Take it, I don't care, come back later in the week." I was like no thats all right I will be back shortly. I rode a good 5-10 miles and went back and he still wanted me to take it home and if I wanted to buy it just come back with the money sometime. I didn't but I still can get over that he simply didn't care, I guess he figured insurance would cover it if I screwed it up of something. So I left and went back the next day with the money.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Hezgon... anybody come look at your bike? How did you handle it? Did you let them ride?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the meeting outside the sheriffs office thing. Worked like a charm, they busted the guy for a kilo and I got a cash reward big enough to pay for the new bike.:p

Just kidding, no takers over the weekend. Decided to keep the bike and pick up the new one in September. Since I have room in the garage, one for work and one for travel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts