V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
fighting irish
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks, i gotta problem!,i ride a 1996 xl1200c, stage 1, progressive fork springs, and 8,400 miles on the clock, im a tech. in a motorcycle shop(not harley), and we got a 1999 dyna superglide sport with wide rear tyre conversion, stage 1, and 5000 miles on the clock,coming as a trade in tomorrow, the sales man says he'll sell me the bike for cost price if i want it!!.
how does the dyna sport compare to the sportster custom?...i would really like better brakes and handling as well as larger fuel tank and more comfort on long trips than the sportster gives me... is the dyna superglide sport the bike i need?..any advise would be really great. thanks, adrian.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
ask him if the cam bearings have been upgraded! I love my fxdx, the way it handles and stops good too! best overall handling bike harley has made. too bad they stopped making it in 05'. the rubber mounted motor makes for a great ride-very smooth and good for the long haul. i've got 36K on mine and still running strong. you did not mention exactly how much he was asking but my buddy bought a 2000 with 3500 on it with cams and vance and hines 2-1 pro pipes for 10K. I think you will be happy with the dyna super glide! keep us posted on your choice.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've owned two Road Glides over the last 5 years, and just bought 2001 FXDX. The tires (or tyres, for our buds across the pond) are shot, so I haven't had the chance to really shake it out yet.

The few short rides I put on it left me grinning. So far, I really like this bike. Handles extremely well, comfortable ride and very sure footed. It's light and nimble, but solid at the same time, if that makes sense...

New Avons go on Friday, so I'm anxious to see what it will do, and tinker a bit with the adjustable suspension.

Good Luck on your decision!
Dan

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I really think you would like the dx better than the sporty, especially for long trips. I have a 99 dx , and wouldnt trade it for any H-D on the market,especially with its cheap price tag... (cheap for harley, that is)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an ironhead sportster and a 03 fxdxt. Buy the fxdx, the rubber mounted motor is much smoother, larger gas tank is great, and the suspension is a big improvement. Also, the superglide is alot better riding 2 up.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just upgraded from my '98 sporty to an '02 wide glide this fall. i realize my WG is not the same as the DX you're looking at, but it will kill you to get back on the sporty after you've ridden the DX... when i test rode the WG before buying, it felt nice, but nothing really sold me on it, other than i have wanted one for MANY years. but then i got back on my sporty to go home...I was sold on the WG instantly!!!!
Although financially it was not the smartest move for me to make, I'm glad i did!!!!! i haven't taken what i call a long road trip yet, but for the short day trips i have taken, the sporty doesn't even compare!!

good luck with the decision...

·
Registered
280 Posts
DITTO to all the above. I haven't been on a sporty since I left Maine 20 years ago. Now have an '02 FXDX. From all the posts I have read and what I remember about that old sporty the super glide is a step up at least. Depending on how wide the conversion tyre is it may not handle as well as the stock setup. The wider the tyre the tougher it is cornering. But, buy it at cost and sell yours there to some unsuspecting rube? nobrainer.(notice I spelled tire tyre)

·
fighting irish
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

thanks for all the replys, the bike will be for sale in our shop for £7,200, but the sales man said i could have it for £5,700!!, its a 1999 with 4,970 miles, gunmetal grey, stage 1, gel seat, chrome rack, chrome mirrors, chrome hand grips, luggage frames(but no luggage), chrome tank strap, and all the standard parts aswell, i dont know if the cam bearings have been done, but im a motorcycle tech. so i can do them if i need to, it doesnt have a wide tyre conversion, just a wider than stock tyre fitted, its a 99 model so it doesnt have adjustable suspension, and its got single piston callipers on wire wheels, front end is way too soft for my riding style so it looks like a set of progressive fork springs and some 15w fork oil will be needed to stiffen things up, im hoping to take a trip home from here in the south of england, across through wales,and catch the ferry to ireland to visit my parents(my dads got a 1953 bsa b31!) soon after i buy it!, it looks like a good bike to make the trip, im fairly new to harleys so i just wanted to see what you guys thought, thanks again(i like your spelling ratrider!)

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Hi Adrian. As someone who upgraded from a Sportster to a Superglide in '95, I know that you will never look back. That's a good deal for you . It's not even bad for here, and I doubt you will get another chance like this. I hope the bike is sound, but as a tech you are in the right field to make upgrades.

The Superglide is not quite as nimble as a Sportster , but the rubbermounted ride and torque of that power plant will thrill you and turn heads in Ireland. I would love to have one on those coastal roads in the west from Cork to Donegal :D . I say go for it...Tom

·
Finally living my dream
220 Posts
I'll add my two cents as well. Love the FXDX, with the rubber mount the bigger tank and all you'll definitely love it. The only thing that I think you'll miss about the 1200 is that the bike is so much lighter that in my experience the 1200 actually gets up a little quicker than the FXDX. However, the three way adjustable shocks and fully adjustable forks plus all the other mentioned items far outweighs the small loss in performance.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My wife has a 05 1200C and I had a 99FXDX . I loved the FXDX , it had a stage I with a Mikuni. The newer 1200 C is a slick ride , but I prefer the FXDX for bangin the twisties. I sold the FXDX for an FXDWG3 , it fits me a bit better , not quite as good in the really tight turns but more comfortable for all day.

·
fighting irish
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
buying fxdx

hello again, just to let you all know i got my sportster up for sale on e bay uk, and im getting the superglide sport on wednesday, ill post some pics as soon as i get it home, thanks to everyne for the advice!

·
NTBFW
32 Posts
adrian said:
front end is way too soft for my riding style so it looks like a set of progressive fork springs and some 15w fork oil will be needed to stiffen things up

Take a look at the Racetech fork kit for the Dyna, it is the best money I have spent on my 04 Superglide. It felt like a completely different bike when I picked it up the day the kit was installed.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Adrian, congratulations on your new purchase. I don't have a superglide but I do ride a dyna lowrider which I find very comfortable on long trips but handles with impeccable manners as well. The sporty is a great bike but it sounds like you are ready for the change you are about to make. Have a great trip--will you be riding with your dad? See you mate!:cheers:

·
fighting irish
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
still waiting!

the bike was supposed to come into the shop today but it got delayed, supposed to be tomorrow now, ill post some pics when i get it, thanks for all the advice.hey hisafreak thanks for the word on the racetech fork kit, i looked into it and ill be ordering it soon, and dhortho1 yeah i hope to be going for a ride with my dad as soon as i get back home to ireland, i just called him a couple of hours ago to let him know i was coming home, i think he's more excited than i am!!, im making the trip with a friend thats just bought a brand new triumph bonnevill scrambler, sweet bike, are they for sale on the us market?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Adrian, I think it's great that you can ride with your Dad. Yes, I believe the Triumph Bonneville Scrambler (as well as other models) is on the market, here. It's good to see Triumph back and doing well. It's a great bike with a long, illustrious history.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts