V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put SEII Slip Ons on MY 06 Street Bob. I want to be sure I don't screw this up. It appears that I need to take off the bolts holding the muffler to the frame. Ansd it apeears that I need to looseng the clamp where the muffler and the exhaust pipe are connected. IS that correct?

Any advice/instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
 

·
Average Dude
Joined
·
6,263 Posts
Did you read the instructions in your HD service manual? If not, I would advise getting one. But it sounds like you are on the right track.
Oh yes, :welcome: to the VTF.

YB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
SEIIs on a Dyna

If your Bob is the same as my DWG, yes, you loosen the clamp bolts where the muffler meets the header pipes and then you remove the bolts at the bottom of each muffler that hold the muffler to the exhaust bracket. You may need to pry the clamp jaws apart a litel with a thin screwdrive. Wiggle the old muffler off and slide the new one on. Reverse the removal procedure to attached the new mufflers. Took me about 20 minutes including cleaning the fingerprints off of the new chrome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
GuyIII said:
Took me about 20 minutes including cleaning the fingerprints off of the new chrome.
This is perhaps the MOST important part of the whole operation. Be sure to completely wipe off any fingerprints before you start the bike up after installing the pipes, or they can be permanently etched into the chrome of the pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GuyIII said:
If your Bob is the same as my DWG, yes, you loosen the clamp bolts where the muffler meets the header pipes and then you remove the bolts at the bottom of each muffler that hold the muffler to the exhaust bracket. You may need to pry the clamp jaws apart a litel with a thin screwdrive. Wiggle the old muffler off and slide the new one on. Reverse the removal procedure to attached the new mufflers. Took me about 20 minutes including cleaning the fingerprints off of the new chrome.

Thanks! I am taking it that the clamp bolts are a bitch to loosen. Mine are on tighter than a bull's a-- at fly time. I assume that I need to apply some force to loosen the clamp bolts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
After I had all the clamps loose, and the bracket off, I still had to persuade the f-ers to come off. I used a block of wood, and a rubber mallet to "gently" tap off the old slip-on's. I wouldn't hit too hard, otherwise they'll go sliding across the floor. I've also heard about spraying some penetrating oil (wd-40) and waiting a bit before removing...guess I was just too impatient.:nunu:
 

·
What did I do now?
Joined
·
965 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
After I had all the clamps loose, and the bracket off, I still had to persuade the f-ers to come off. I used a block of wood, and a rubber mallet to "gently" tap off the old slip-on's. I wouldn't hit too hard, otherwise they'll go sliding across the floor. I've also heard about spraying some penetrating oil (wd-40) and waiting a bit before removing...guess I was just too impatient.:nunu:

Hehe I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggled a little with removing my old mufflers on my Heritage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
3 tricks to removing old mufflers from header pipe
1) smack with board on no bounce hammer slightly,
2) spray penetrating oil at seam and wait till the cows come home
3) slightly bend the muffler up/down ,side to side using the seam as the pivot point and the muffler should slide off real easy
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top