V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 FLSTF and am having trouble with the security system. To start off all was working well untill she fell over. Now when I turn on the ignition..lights flash 6 times and security light stays on for about 10 seconds then goes out. All is well....untill you hit the left turn signal then the security light comes on and won't go off. The fob will work as it should...arms and dissarms.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When the turn signals flash 6 times it means the security system has set a code.

Try this
turn run-off switch on the right handlebar to off
turn ignition switch on - off - on - off - on wait about one second between each step
press left turn signal switch two times, like deliberately clicking a computer mouse, but not as quick as double clicking, you will get two flashes
press right turn signal switch one time, you should get one flash
press right turn signal switch one time, you should get two flashes
press right turn signal switch one time, you should get three flashes
press left turn signal switch one time, it will flash any number of trouble codes, disregard and wait until it repeats the same sequence
press and hold left turn signal switch for at least five seconds and turn signals should flash two times, this confirms codes are cleared
turn ignition to off

This **** has to be done very clearly and deliberately, without waiting more then 10 seconds between steps, any small mistake and you have to start over.

If the bike does not operate normally after this do it again. If it doesn't work right after a number of tries take it to the dealer. If you tell me what codes it flashed I can give you more data, but don't bother if the bike is back to normal. It also makes a difference if the bike is carb or EFI, as far as the meaning of the codes.

Bow three times towards Milwaukee and recite loudly "Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore". You are allowed to substitute the name if your bike has one. You may also use the alternate chant "Willie, we are not worthy"
Buy the Hippo a pint of Guinness if you ever run into him, or help the next guy broken down by the side of the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hippo

Hippo

Did exactly what you said.....got 2 falshes then 1.

Did it 3 times...Still won't clear or reset though.

I also noticed that my battery is goin dead over night...maybe something I don't know.

2001 FLSTF Carborated

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you are doing it right and you mean it flashes code 21 where I mentioned the code, it means code B1121 is set, means an output fault on the left side of the bike. Likely cause is it is detecting what it interprets as a short to ground on the left TS circuit of the bike (like an excessive load). If it fell to the left and one of the TS housings has any sort of minor damage you might take it apart and look in there, if you don't find anything you may want to replace the bulbs or even just replace them with the right side ones and see if it changes to a code 22 with bulbs reversed side to side. If it fell to the right just do the bulbs.Then you know.

If it continues to set code 21 next is to trace all the wiring from the TS assemblies to the TSSM. If you are not really comfortable doing this might as well save time and take it to the dealer. If there is any sort of damage insurance should cover troubleshooting time anyway.

I would imagine you are doing all these tests with a fully charged battery.
Under no circumstances disconnect the battery while the alarm is armed, if you have to charge it off the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the code is not a numerical code, it flashed twice then once hence the 2 1 code I gave you

the bike starts yes, but in going through the manual I reset the code ( it confirmed no code was entered) then redid the whole set up * just like when its new, set the new code in* and I can disarm it with the fob but not with the signals

now as for the TS connections, the bike fell left yes, but the TS damage was not to the wiring or the housing only the stem of the signal itself

also, FYI the TS wont cancel out when you turn....... what is your intake/input on the track/tilt module in the TSSM?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahhhh also, yes the battery is at full charge and as for the wiring, I took off the housing of the TS and the wires all look good, no damage.... also the fuses are intact and not broken in the fuse panel in the seat

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Depends exactly where in the sequence it does the 2 - 1 flash. If it is where the code was supposed to flash, it is a code 21.

If you are talking about the initial configuration mode, in order to re-enter a manual disarm mode, it is common to have to go thru it several times, in particular if the battery voltage went below the low treshold as it would be the same as having disconnected the battery.

I might still switch both front and rear TS bulbs from one side to the other just to see if it changes what possibly may be a code. You may also get the 4 way flashers going and watch the 4 lights to see if any slight discrepancy from lite to lite can be seen. It is possible a wire may have chafed inside the TS stem.

The BAS or tilt part of the TSSM has a self calibration mode. It's supposed to calibrate by riding the bike straight ie no turns or leaning between 10 and 40 mph for about 1/2 mile.
If the turn signals do not cancel after a turn, but cancel when riding in a straight line above 20 mph or so after about 20 flashes and the speedometer appears to indicate speed normally, there might be a fault with the BAS in the TSSM. One of the ways you can see what it does is to have the bike running on the side stand, undo the bolt that holds the TSSM and tilt it about 45 degrees to either side and see if it kills the engine.

Some of the codes can not be read without the Scanalizer or Digitech. If these simple steps don't give you an answer it might be quicker to scan the codes. There are like 20 flowcharts and it might be hard to pin down which one to follow whitout having the bike in front of you for observation, and even then you may need the codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help Hippo!

Had no luck on my own...so I took her to the dealer today.

Again Thanks

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts