V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 flhrci that I was wanting to add a factory security system with a siren. I was reading in a Clymer Repair Manuel that the turn signal module(TSM) and the turn signal security modlule(TSSM) are not interchangeable. However, in the Harley parts catalog it mentioned nothing about this. Is this a problem, and if so how big? I thought it would have been a simple plug-in job. Thanks for any input that you have.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can add the security system by replacing the tsm with a tssm which is a simple swap out, but with fuel injection you have to have it done at a dealer so they can password program the new module with the digital tech or the bike will not start. Buy the module from Hales HD at 20% discount then take bike in to dealer to have module installed and reprogrammed.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I recently purchased a 2001 FLHPI, and am in the process of installing the HD security system myself. The Parts catalog says the 2001 models do not require the additional wiring harness. Turns out the early model 2001 FLHPI DOES require the harness. After buying all of the componets,along with the HD service manual, and HD Police manual, I discovered that the Electrical Diagnostic testing must also be performed. This testing is NOT covered in EITHER manual that I purchased. What a bunch of bull. After having already spent over 100 bucks on manuals, you would think that everything would be covered. Guess I will have to take my new scoot to a dealer to have the additional work performed. WHAT A RIP-OFF !!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Electrical manual is needed

Dealer is not required. I just finished installing security on my 02 FLHTCUI and purchased the electrical diagnostic manual. You only need about 3 pages out of the manual but it is a good reference for other things. The cost of a manual will only buy you 1 hour in the shop so they are a good deal overall. Haven't had time to write up complete install but it is not that bad.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Thanks for the info. So, you say that you did not need a dealer to program a password into the module for you so your bike would start after installation? Maybe my dealer is ripping me off, but he says they will have to put this password in with the scanalyzer. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
He lies like a dog ...

You can program the TSSM to your bike by going through a sequence of On-Off-On three times waiting 10 minutes between each time and looking for a flash form the module. There is something about the turn signals involved here but I don't have the book at work so procedure is slightly more detailed. You then program the key fobs using signals and holding down buttons on fobs. The last step is putting in your personal 5-digit code which can be done with a scanalyzer or by a sequence of left and right turn signals after putting the bike in program mode. Following the directions exactly is critical but it isn't that difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey dxxxii, thanks for the info I really appreciate it. What manual do you have and where can I obtain one. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Thanks for the info dxxxiii...really appreciate it. I figured there was a way to do this myself without a scanalyzer. Think I will get the Electrical Diagnostics book just to have everything covered.
twincamzz

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is the Electrical Diagnostic and Troubleshooting Manual. HIPPO calls it an ETFM. Go to a Dealer to find the part number for your model.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There are decent dealers left after all... took my scoot in yesterday to get the alarm programmed. Turns out the early 01 FLHPI did NOT have the wiring for the alarm, and the adapter harness HD sells will not work. Dealer had promised the alarm was compatible. Long story short, they wired it up AND changed out a mainshaft seal in the inner primary.All for no $$$. With service like this, I WILL be back.
twincamzz:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts