V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the spun aluminum gauges and I can't see the security light in the daylight against the aluminum dial.. Anyone know if I can tap into the wire and add a nice little bright LED? Will it throw a code if I do? Might be a better theft deterent too.:brows:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I am not really sure but i am interested in the outcome. I have a couple friends that cant even really see the gauges on their cvo's at night. I asked the dealer and that was useless. I have been looking through wagner and sylvania spec book to no avail.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
the indicator in the speedo is a surface mount LED... not exactly an easy job to change for your weekend-electrical-warrior. I put a brighter LED in mine and it helped, but that was on an '03 Softail

In theory, you should be able to tie into the security light wire (brown/violet)with another LED and not have any problems. Also, in theory, you'll need to use a resistor.

In '04, when H-D went to serial data for the instrumentation, a lot changed. My '03, the security light circuit just went through a few discrete components in the speedo (resistors n diodes), I beleive the circuit inside may be different on an '04-up speedo.

This is a time where the Electrical Diagnostic Manual would come in handy...

Also, all the '99 up gauges use SMT LEDs inside for illumination... no bulbs.

I'm doing a speedo and tach with red illumination for a friend's Ultra right now... at least as soon as the LEDs get here (they're also different from the '99-'03 gauges.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
the indicator in the speedo is a surface mount LED... not exactly an easy job to change for your weekend-electrical-warrior. I put a brighter LED in mine and it helped, but that was on an '03 Softail

In theory, you should be able to tie into the security light wire (brown/violet)with another LED and not have any problems. Also, in theory, you'll need to use a resistor.

In '04, when H-D went to serial data for the instrumentation, a lot changed. My '03, the security light circuit just went through a few discrete components in the speedo (resistors n diodes), I beleive the circuit inside may be different on an '04-up speedo.

This is a time where the Electrical Diagnostic Manual would come in handy...

Also, all the '99 up gauges use SMT LEDs inside for illumination... no bulbs.

I'm doing a speedo and tach with red illumination for a friend's Ultra right now... at least as soon as the LEDs get here (they're also different from the '99-'03 gauges.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info. You think its still 12 volts? Next time I have the fairing off maybe I'll pierce the signal wire with a pin and try to read it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
05 Ultra said:
Thanks for the info. You think its still 12 volts? Next time I have the fairing off maybe I'll pierce the signal wire with a pin and try to read it.
not sure... poke it with a multimeter and see what you get.

if you want to get the light to come on for a little longer than the flash of the armed indication, pull out a turn signal bulb and hit the signal with the key on... that should light it up, or at least next time you turn the key on, indicating a trouble code (turn signal malfunction/bulb out).

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
not sure... poke it with a multimeter and see what you get.

if you want to get the light to come on for a little longer than the flash of the armed indication, pull out a turn signal bulb and hit the signal with the key on... that should light it up, or at least next time you turn the key on, indicating a trouble code (turn signal malfunction/bulb out).
Great info! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I was bored after work today and pulled the fairing off. The security light is 12 volts. So I ran to Radio Shack and picked up a nice little panel mount red LED and spliced into the security light circuit. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. Not throwing any codes. Now I have something I can actaly see in day light!:yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts