V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't exactly performance but didn't fit anywhere else. Does anyone have installation hints for putting the HD security module onto my bike? Is it necessary to go to the dealer for programming?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Physically installing the alarm is exceedingly simple. For the most part it is replacing the TSM with a TSSM.
The TSSM and ECM have to go thru a password learning procedure. Contrary to what most people believe you do not need the dealer for this as it can be done manually in a procedure not unlike the manual retrieving of codes. The problem is that it is relatively complicated and you would need the ETFM. The cost for it is roughly what the dealer would charge to perform the password learning procedure with the proprietary equipment. You would of course have the ETFM left over for other uses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hippo, What's an ETFM?...

I searched HD catalog and couldn't find anything for a part number. I assume it's some piece of diagnostic equipment with connections for HD.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yup, they like to keep this quiet, but there is a electrical troubleshooting factory manual, PN 99497-02 is for 02 touring bikes. You may or may not fix the bikes with them, but it will keep them from bullshitting you.
You'll have to order it as they never stock them. I believe they are about $56.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts