V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous RG's had arguably the most comfortable seat in the HD lineup. That was before I don't know when but I know the seat on my 08 HAS TO GO! It's a torture device! I rode my 01 with a stock seat for 5 seasons, 45k miles and never even considered another seat. Is there a seat that similar to the old RG seat available for the 08's? When did they change it? The new seat has this hard cored bucket configuration that is covered withsome of the crappiest foam I have ever sat my fat ass on. Any recommendations? I do not like the big fluffy touring seats even though I am sure they are comfy. I liked the smooth transition on the old RG seat from rider to passenger, the bucket configuration won't work for me and all the seats available seem to have it or if they don't, they have a tiny passenger pad...Also won't work if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its funny, we all have different a$$es.
I rode my 08 RG for about 300 miles yesterday. I was just telling my wife how comfy the stock seat was.

A$$es are like opinions, we all have a different one:xhere:

Doug

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the bike I test rode was an anneverseray model and it has a a seat that is almost exactly the same as the older RG seats. I might not have even bought the bike if I had test rode with the new seat, I would have been way too uncomfortable compared to the bike I rode there on....

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with the parts guru at the dealer. Unfortunately there aren't many alternatives for the different fitments of the 08's yet. He did get me hooked up with a guy that can either fix the new seat or better yet change the fitment of the older model RG seat to fit the bike.
Guess it's off to shop for a take off seat on ebay....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, I think the 08 crowd is going to have to wait (sit around on their seats so to speak) another month or two for the aftermarket to catch up.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Agreed... the stock sucks!
Mustang won't be ready until possibly January. The dealer says the Air Zepplins won't be ready until after the first of the year.

Right now your options are the Sundowner, the Short guy seat (think it's called the Reach) and the Tall guy seat, called the tall seat. I got the Sundowner and it's only marginally better. I'm going to take my seat to Bill Mayer Saddles and have it redone. It's not cheap but I have one of his seats on my BMW and have done 700 mile days on it with no problem.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gerg said:
Agreed... the stock sucks!
Mustang won't be ready until possibly January. The dealer says the Air Zepplins won't be ready until after the first of the year.

Right now your options are the Sundowner, the Short guy seat (think it's called the Reach) and the Tall guy seat, called the tall seat. I got the Sundowner and it's only marginally better. I'm going to take my seat to Bill Mayer Saddles and have it redone. It's not cheap but I have one of his seats on my BMW and have done 700 mile days on it with no problem.
There is another called the leather low profile bucket but doesn't look much better. The dealer guy told me the guy he told me about makes alot of people real happy at less than half the cost... Gonna TT him soon, i'll let you know what he says my options are.... and the price he quotes...

BTW Greg, are you originally from the patch? (that's what we use to call b'field) I'm from there, born and raised, lucky enough to escape....

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
adlerx said:
The previous RG's had arguably the most comfortable seat in the HD lineup.
You got that right! I am using the seat off of my 05 FLTRI on my 07 Ultra. I have never even considered getting an aftermarket seat. I sure hope they come up with a seat as comfortable as this one before I buy my next bike.

I have many friends who have had their stock seat "re-worked" rather than buying another seat and every one of them is very pleased with the results. Spend the time thinking about exactly what you want in a seat and they can do it for you. In addition to moving you up/down/forward/back they can narrow the nose and add better foam. This is probably the best way to go as opposed to buying a replacement seat.

Good luck with it and let us know how it works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts