V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I've had a set now for over a year. (The Craftsman set, not the Gear Wrench set). The have worked fine. I don't use the ratcheting side for busting loose or torqueing bolts. Once I have broken loose the bolt with the open ended side, I switch to the boxed in side for the ratcheting for speed.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I've got a set and they seem to be OK but I don't trust the rachet too far! I use a regular wrench to break the nut free then switch to them to speed it off. Very handy in a tight place where a socket won't fit. All in all I give them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
jockeyshift said:
I've had a set now for over a year. (The Craftsman set, not the Gear Wrench set). The have worked fine. I don't use the ratcheting side for busting loose or torqueing bolts. Once I have broken loose the bolt with the open ended side, I switch to the boxed in side for the ratcheting for speed.
Beat me to it!

BTW, from an old wrench don't use the open end to break a bolt free. If its real tight the torque can open up the wrench a bit and you'll round off the head.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
cwo2lt said:
Beat me to it!

BTW, from an old wrench don't use the open end to break a bolt free. If its real tight the torque can open up the wrench a bit and you'll round off the head.

Very true!! For bolts that are real tough, I use only boxed end wrenches or sockets. You can pretty much tell how much force you need to break 'em loose.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have a set that I bought from Target for about $20. I use them all the time and on the bike quite often too. They are a godsend for getting under the rear fender for example if you don't want to take the wheel off! :)

I haven't had one problem with my set.

·
Terrorists suck!
647 Posts
rgraham said:
What is the verdict on these wrenches? Do they work well, and do they hold up?
I use them probably the most out of all the tools in the box. Great for tight spots

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Havent used the craftsman wrenches. but i can say the gear wrench brand are very good. Been using them in my body shop for like 3 years without any failures.

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, and good to hear. Sears has them on sale on line for the next couple of days.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
i have a set of the Gearwrench that i bought a sears a year or two ago...a couple months after i bought them i noticed the "made in taiwan" on the plastic holder that i was about to throw away.
went to sears and bitched about it and they said they'd exchange them...no problem. Haven't got around to it though.

I want to get a set of Armstrongs...has a box end on the other end instead of the open end.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The cheaper set, usually the one on sale, said made in China when I looked at them.. The Craftsman set was about double in price vs the ***** stuff..

I have used my buddies snap on set alot.. Very handy..

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
minivan said:
The cheaper set, usually the one on sale, said made in China when I looked at them.. The Craftsman set was about double in price vs the ***** stuff..

I have used my buddies snap on set alot.. Very handy..
I hate cheap tools. Comes from the days when various clearances (for an exhaust manifold bolt head on the cast-iron manifolds for example) were set up by the engine manufacturer using a SnapOn 12 point socket as the standard. Why the hell they didn't use a six-point I'll never know! I remember sanding and grinding down the outside diameter of Craftsman sockets trying to get them to work. They always broke when you put torque on them. I have since found quite a few imported and low-end tools which often work pretty well, but none have ever lasted like SnapOn's stuff.

I know SnapOn costs a fair amount more, but they just work better. They don't slip off and round bolt heads and nuts and if they wear out they'll always be replaced. I've flagged down a SnapOn truck in a strange town and gotten worn Phillips screwdriver Blades replaced when I was on the road.

·
Alienated from the world
15 Posts
The best tool ever

Those wrenches are by far the best tool I have ever invested in. I rarely use sockets anymore. Not only that but the craftsman set is CHROME!!! I have not broke a wrench yet, and I have somewhat abused them. The only time I had to replace one was when I shorted (welded) mine on when I dropped it on the floor and it landed on the battery (which was like 3 feet away, a one in a million bounce)

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
My gear wrenches are by far the most used tools in my box. I saw last week that they have stubbys out now too.

Hello? Santa are you listening:dunno:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
8-Ball said:
Hey... got an email that might be able to help you with that.
Damn...I missed that one...:laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts