V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this is a technical discussion but if I'm wrong, just move me.... I'm thinking of buying a Sears Craftsman 30 gallon, 6 hp air compressor with kit (ratchet and air wrench). $299. For wrenching the scoot and my car. Anyone have one? What do you think? Is an air compressor too "rough" for bike use?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oak...I have the older 25 gallon, 5 hp Craftsman compressor. I mainly use it for driving air tools while working on my cars. I use a "wizard wheel" also which my compressor struggles to keep up with. The larger tank you're looking at should work better. So to answer your question, I just got my bike and haven't really done much wrenching with it. Any wrenching I have done is with hand tools only. But I have used it to blow the dust off of it and put air in the tires. I'm sure an impact wrench would be handy when doing the "heavy" engine work in the future. If you've got the exrta room and the $$$, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The single stage compressors (which I assume this one is as it's pretty cheap) get the job done, but they're pretty damn noisy. If it's possible to locate the compressor outside the garage, and run the airlines inside, you'll like it a whole lot better. Other than that, they've always worked well for me wrenching on cars. As 'attitude' said, you prolly won't be able to get the compressor to keep up with a cut off wheel, but it should work great for just about everything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts