V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
---
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of the aftermarket spoked wheels are sealed to run tubless tires.
Is there any way/anyone who can seal the stock HD rims to allow the use of tubless tires?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
There is a company in Garden Grove, Ca that says the can do it, $60. Do an online search "sealed spoke wheels".

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'd find it a bit difficult to trust this.
Much rather stick with stock laced wheels with tubed tires and deal with the negatives associated with them.

If you really desire to run laced wheels with tubeless tires, I'd recommend wheels from American Wire Wheels.

·
Commander of Combustion
55 Posts
All you need to do is get a quart of aviation fuel tank sealant. It is a two part deal like epoxy. Or do an online search for flexible epoxy. Clean the inside of your rims, score them a little and spread the epoxy with a plastic bondo spreader that is cut to fit the inside channel of the rim. This is tried and true. However, I am not responsible for what you do or the result of your application of the aforementioned information. Use at your own discretion.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
On My Motocross wheels I use Duct tape keeps the dirt out Sweet, just clean the wheel real good and put a layer of tape around the wheel.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
DR_DEUCE said:
This adds unsprung weight to the cycle.. That is a NO NO. :spank: :nunu: :spank:

Please explain this. I know about loading up the front end when braking. I don't understand what you mean by adding unsprung weight. Do you mean the weight of the sealant? How would this differ from getting new 80 spoke wheels to replace 40 spoke wheels?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jshuster said:
On My Motocross wheels I use Duct tape keeps the dirt out Sweet, just clean the wheel real good and put a layer of tape around the wheel.
I can't imagine that duct tape will seal well enough to hold air though. ;)

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Unsprung weight? The weight of components not supported by the suspension..spent a lot to reduce mine, but you have to be after improved handling to bother going as far as I did. Sputhe aluminum swingarm, aluminum rims with SS spokes and composite rotors. Yes, I can feel the difference. See pics under "Modifications to your Dyna".....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Along the same lines here....I want radials for all the obvious reasons....cars have used them for about 200 years now....I would like to retain the stock spoked rim on my 05 Deuce and see nothing above that seems reliable and inexpensive. I have seen in searches that there are people who seem to be running tubes in their "tubeless" tires. Any experience to add here? John

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts