V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone convert to sealed roller bearings? I think my 95 should have tapered rollers. Is there just a replacement bearing available or do you need different spacers?

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You would need different spacers, axles and lowers for the front, and axle adjusters for the rear. I've seen sealed bearings advertised in Hot Bike mag, American Iron mag to name a couple. I had a '98 RK and wanted to put the sealed bearings in. Too many money for me, so I just kept cleaning and repacking every 10K miles. The sealed bearings from HD might not fit inside your wheels either. The bearings advertised in the above mentioned mags are proper size for your scoot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drag Specialties has a kit for the front but not for the rear. In the picture they have spacers included. Im sure the bearings can be bought from a bearing shop for $5.00.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a cut and paste from ftmbiz. It looks like they don't have anything for me. I have a 95 FLHTC.

Front
FLHR/CI® 94-99 and all bikes that came from factory with bags except 97 and older FLHT/C/CUI ®

Rear
FXST® , FLST® Softail® 84-99, Dyna Glide® 91-99, XL® chain and belt 73-99 All other OE Harley® & Indian Rears when used with the OE Drive-side Spacer, excluding FLH®, FLHR®, FLHT®

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
They've got the front ones for you. FLHR and FLHTC are the same. Guess that's better than nothing. I understand the reason the don't advertise sealed bearings for the rear wheel is fitment issues. It takes some measuring and spacer manipulating to make them work. Used to be a member here that had fitted some to 3/4" rear axles but don't remember what name he used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't make sense to me. If the Road King and Electra Glide have the same bearings how come the bearings don't fit 97 and older Electra Glides. I should call them and find out why.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
robertg said:
It doesn't make sense to me. If the Road King and Electra Glide have the same bearings how come the bearings don't fit 97 and older Electra Glides. I should call them and find out why.
Difference is in the front wheel drive speedo unit that was used on EG's until 2000 model year. Easily solveable. Here's some info I found that was posted by the guy I referred to above.

I order Road King rear wheel kits and they fit perfect.
I don't know who you talked to there but they don't know what their talking about. I found that out first hand when I called them myself a couple of years ago. You have to ask to talk to one of the design tech's there. The rear wheels (spoked or mag's) are interchangable for 1994-99, Road Kings and Electra Glide's.
Another option is you can buy the 16" wide wheel kit, and have your present OEM spacers machined down .20 thousand on both sides. This set up will fit right on.
You will have to get your old wheel bearing races pushed out. The new sealed bearings are tight so you should either press them in using a press and a socket on the outside bearing race. Or stick them in a freezer overnight. Warm the wheel hub up when your ready to install the bearings. After the hub is warm quickly remove the frozen bearings from the freezer and using a socket and hammer, lightly tap the bearings in. They should go in easily. Do not pound on them it may damage them.
I have installed several set's in 95-99 Road Kings, Electra Glide Ultra's, Electra Glides, and 1 98 Heritage Classic Softail.
The front wheels are where the issue becomes a little tricky on 99 or older Electra Glides, Ultra's anything with a speedo cable coming off the front. You have to machine .20 thousands off the speedo drive, and .20 thousands off the spacer on the other side....The bearings are worth the trouble. I recommend them especially if your doing high mileage riding, or pulling a trailer.....Later.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts