V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a set of SE211 cams cheap, they were new in the box. Decided to use these with a 95" build. Using flat tops (KB's,coated skirts) and head work. Trying for 9.8 or better comp. Anyone used these cams before? A tad more duration than the 37's, but a minor drop in lift at .508 . Should give good midrange and an improvement on the top end I would think. Insight appreciated.

Mo %[email protected]

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
IMO, they like more compression and are a mid to top end cam. They work better in lighter bikes like the Dyna's. In a heavier bike I would consider a cam with more low end grunt. But if the price is right, throw them in and let us know what you think !

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I had that cam in a 95" motor on my prior RG, put out nice power but they make the power higher in the RPM range than some other cam choices. I will try to find my dyno sheet but don't own that bike any more. The specs on the motor I had which used those cams was: 95" Big Bore Kit P/N 16546-99 Screamin' Eagle Ported HTCC Heads P/N 16925-02A Screamin' Eagle Intake Manifold P/N 29635-99 Screamin' Eagle HTCC Pistons P/N 22439-00A Screamin' Eagle perfect fit pushrods P/N 18402-03 SE-211 cams P/N 25152-00 and Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner P/N 32107-01B. In addition bike has the Vance & Hines Propipe HS and the Arlen Ness Big Sucker airfilter.

I did it alot differently on my new RG going for the stroker 103" motor that puts out more TQ and HP at lower RPM ranges. To me that is a better choice for a bagger. What bike do you have this motor in?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
It's my understanding that you need higher CR's to make thes cams shine, like roadglider's build with HTCC pistons and ported heads etc. Without the CR your low end will be terrible like my bike WAS with the SE-257 at 10:1 CR and your 5th gear will be useless at 65 mph. There are some dyno runs with that cam posted in this forum and on http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtalk. If you check it out you'll find out the best head/piston combo with the right CR to keep you running.

Try these links to 2 dyno runs for the SE-211 on Harley Tech Talk.
http://www.msnusers.com/harleytechtalk/msgattachments/36668

http://www.msnusers.com/harleytechtalk/msgattachments/42448

Neither is very impressive if you just spent a couple thou. on some semi-serious motor work. Looks like 1 st one's got High Comp pistons, too...just no head work mentioned. 82HP/89TQ Heck, there's guys getting that from an 88". The second has a little higher HP and TQ with Flat tops.

:hmmm:

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
If you are going to use the 211s, then you'll need at least 10.25:1 compression, or you will be very disappointed.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Thanks Genoway! That's all I'm saying. It's backed up by the dyno links that I listed in my previous post.

@gree:

Incidently, this is no slam on anybody running the 211 or the 257, but if you don't have the compression, you won't have any power until 3500 RPM's. This translates into a useless 5th gear at 65 MPH and 4th will barely pull at 60 MPH. No offence, but if you've never run anything other than stock, the 211 or 257 will be OK with the wrong heads and pistons and real good with the right combo, but I was used to an Andrews 37 in my 88" and had more torque at 3000 RPM than my 95" with SE heads and the SE257. The dyno is posted in the dyno section for that one. I just pulled the 257's out and have them on e-bay as we speak...replaced with a Woods TW6...yeeha! It's all about a better match for the heads and pistons though, that's all.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeez guys!! The 211's arent THAT much bigger than the 37's !! So what you are telling me, is that my flat top Keith Blacks wont work?? Can I shave the head enough to get 10:1 with a thin gasket?? I thought that 9.8:1 or there abouts would get me there with these cams. Also, I was going to use a 4-degree advance cam drive gear to lower the power range somewhat. MORE INFO appreciated....hell I sold my 203's.

MH

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Talk to Steve at GMR Performance aka HDWRENCH on the forum. He'll probably recommend something different and give you a great deal on it to boot. I ran into a similar problem with my SE-257 set-up...His advice was why add an advance gear, change gearing, increase CR with different pistons, etc when all I have to do is put in the right cam for my build. It's not the lift as much as the other intake/exhaust, open/close points that I 'm not qualified to break down for you that make the difference. He's got a program that can tell you what your cold cranking pressure would be with that build and what you should have.

-2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool...thanks Prophet...I will talk with him about it...I wanted some hot cams that sound good and run like hell, but I didnt want to go above 10:1 comp. due to fuel concerns or the lack of good fuel.

Mo

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Good luck and by the way based on his advice the TW6 was my choice for now and he hit the nail on the head with what my theoretical cold cranking pressure should be with the TW6. He said between 185 and 190 psi and when I put the gauge to it was just shy of 190. That cam pops more than the SE-257 in my bike with .569 lift vs. the .510 lift in the TW6. The SE only had 170 psi. Mohead, keep this thread going when you get you set-up so I can find out how you made out. I'm having mine tuned next week so I should also have a dyno run posted soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts