V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you SE and SEII pipe owners I need a bit of info on how loud the two are. I'm picking up my Street Bob in April and plan on getting pipes put one before it leaves the dealer. I've heard that the 50 state legal SE's are not very load and I've also heard that the SEII's are to load.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I haven't ruled out other pipes from the different manufacturers. Just thought going with the SE or SEII slip- ons would save me some money.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I can't compare the 2 pipes, but I did have SEIIs on a 95" Fatboy. I liked the sound/tone. Maybe a little loud, but that's so subjective. I did have some blueing that was annoying.

·
Finally
839 Posts
SEII's are not to loud and sound great in my opinion. Wife and I ride all day and no complaints. Got the sound I was looking for also. Found a set with low miles, like new for less than $100...-2$en#e-

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the SE II's on my FLSTC, did not think they were loud enough so I stuck a crowbar up the pipe and bent back the baffle tabs a bit-WOW what a difference

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
I have SEIIs on my dyna and they are great. Not too loud by any means.

·
Retired
1,832 Posts
I have SEIIs and like them. Loud enough when need it. My brother has the older SEs on his '99 Dyna which seem to have a better and deeper tone. I am curious about the SEII Torque mufflers. I felt like I was invisible with the stock mufflers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Se II's

Romac, I just had some SE II slip ons installed last weekend along with a K&N air kit and carb rejet. I love them. It has really opened up my bike. I don't think they are too loud. They can be if you really dog it. I have the turn downs which keep the note away from me. They might draw a ticket if you were going at it full bore with the law around. They make your bike sound like a Harley should. I think I would have been disapointed with anything quieter, so that makes them just right for me! The SEs are just a little louder than stock (hence epa noise okay) while the SE'IIs are not epa noise okay. Mine have a note that they are not for road use. Just ignore that! I know of many many bikes much louder.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
romac said:
OK you SE and SEII pipe owners I need a bit of info on how loud the two are. I'm picking up my Street Bob in April and plan on getting pipes put one before it leaves the dealer. I've heard that the 50 state legal SE's are not very load and I've also heard that the SEII's are to load.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I haven't ruled out other pipes from the different manufacturers. Just thought going with the SE or SEII slip- ons would save me some money.

Thanks,

Rob
Romac, it's my understanding that the SE pipes are louder than the newer SEII's. The former are straight pipes, though the inner diameter is small enough that they're not too loud. The latter have baffles in 'em and are considerably quieter. I've got SEs on my bike and my buddy has SEII's. His are louder than stock but are still pretty quiet. Mine sound deeper and louder but are still pretty reasonable if you have neighbors to worry about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies I was just curious of the difference betwen the two. I am leaning towards the SEII

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
romac said:
Thanks for the replies I was just curious of the difference betwen the two. I am leaning towards the SEII
My friend with the SEII's is talking about drilling his out more so they sound as good as my SE's.If you want aftermarket pipes just a bit louder than stock go with the II's. If you want your bike to sound like a real Harley but not offend people, the SE's are the way to go imho:)

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Hi Romac!

I think there is some incorrect info here in this thread.

There currently are two different 2-in-2 versions of Screamin' Eagle Slip Fit Mufflers for Dynas that will give you any improvement in sound (the 49 state street legal ones are basically just for looks):

a) S.E. Pro Slip Fit Torque Mufflers
b) S.E. Pro II Slip Fit Mufflers
I think the old , no longer available S.E.(I) mufflers or the street legal S.E. mufflers are being confused here with the Torque mufflers.
The Torque Mufflers have a simplde "Screamin' Eagle" script on them (as do the street legal ones), the IIs have a "Screamin Eagle II" script on them.

I have the S.E Torque Mufflers on my Street Bob, and they are the less loud of the two. They have a very deep, mellow, just somewhat "muffled" sound to them. They are only available in the tapered style similar to the stock mufflers.

The S.E.IIs are definitely louder, have a clear and "unmuffled" sound. They are not perversely loud by any means, though, and I think they sound better than the Torque Mufflers. They are available in Slash Down or Baloney Cut versions in chrome or black.

I personally hate the look of the rather fat slash down and baloney cut mufflers on Dynas and had to choose between the better sound and the better look. I went with the compromise between the look I prefer and the still very acceptable sound of the Torque Mufflers, at least until the warranty is up and then I'll probably get something different alltogether. By then plenty of options should be available for 06s.

Ride Safe
Sponk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts