V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a new (45 miles) '06 Heritage Softail Classic. I had the SE Stage I done with fuel re-map, but am undecided about pipes. I've been following these threads (great education!), and have narrowed my choices down to the SE II slashdowns and the SE Torques, which I like because they look completely stock.

I'm looking for the H-D deep rumble without the bla-a-a-t or cra-a-a-ck on hard acceleration. Which of these two would come closest? Which is louder (looking for less loud)?

How do the two compare with the S&S slip-ons, soundwise?

Thanks in advance for info.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have a 03' FLSTCI and have the SE torque slip on mufflers and like them. they aren't as loud as the SE IIs. I had cycle shack exhaust but changed to these because the cycle shacks were too loud for my taste. the torque slip ons have some bark to them but not irratating loud.

good luck and ride safe.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
A while back I followed Brownjams advice and bought torque pipes (80388-01). I like them a lot cause they allow me to be quite when I want (gentle with throttle, low RPM), but have a decent "bark" when you crack the throttle. Lot's of advise in this forum on the topic, but a notworthy point some have made is that the SEII pipes can provide better power compared to the torque pipes. For me, SEII are too loud but to each his own.
P.S. Thanks Brownjams...you helped me make a decision that I'm happy with!

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I'll jump onto....

...the Brownjams Express and go for the Torques, too. Perhaps the SE IIs would give marginally more power, but I'm looking more for sound than power.

Thanks for chiming in with advice.

Philip

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello from Florida

First I'd like to say Hi to everyone at VTF.
I am new (about a week now) to the forum. Just returned for the big sand box about 5mo ago (man is it good to be home). My scoot is a 06 FLSTCI bought in Oct of 05. Been riding bikes for 22 or so years (this is my first Harley). I am Still in the Army.

Anyway
Philip,
I have the SEII on and they sound great (deep base).

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
rtb said:
A while back I followed Brownjams advice and bought torque pipes (80388-01). I like them a lot cause they allow me to be quite when I want (gentle with throttle, low RPM), but have a decent "bark" when you crack the throttle. Lot's of advise in this forum on the topic, but a notworthy point some have made is that the SEII pipes can provide better power compared to the torque pipes. For me, SEII are too loud but to each his own.
P.S. Thanks Brownjams...you helped me make a decision that I'm happy with!
glad i could help. when I bought the cyle shacks I was told they were louder than the SE IIs, I should of listened because I couldn't stand the never ending loud noise from them at all speeds. at highway speeds they were just down right irritating. I do have sensitive ears to loud noises from working in a noisy work environment. a couple of guys from work bought vance and hines, they are great pipes by the way, one changed them out to a quieter pipe and the other went with the quiet baffles.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Torques

I had the SE Torques installed yesterday, and to my ear they're perfect. A nice, rich rumble at idle; on acceleration they authoritatively announce their presence without being obnoxious about it; and at cruise they return to a nice, steady rumble. Just what I wanted.

Next project: the seat. I need one with a backrest. Candidates are the Mustang, the Saddleman Explorer, or the H-D seat with backrest for Softails. But that's for another forum...:unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Se II's

Everyone has different tastes! I have just put the Se II slash downs on my 04 Heritage and they sound good but not quite loud enough for me! I am to cheap to have the carb rejetted again, and buy some V&H Big shots. I have to say the bike really runs great with the Se II's, a vast improvement along with the K&N air kit. I have a buddy that has a Sporty with straight pipes and he shows me up in the sound department.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently traded my Dyna in for an 06 Heritage Classic. I never did anything to the Dyna except some chrome.

I have already bought the EFI cleaner (nothing installed as of yet though, still 100% stock), waiting for SE II slip-ons. When I looked at the SE II's, I asked about the checkered flag note. I was told that these would not effect my warranty, and that they were mild compared to V&H and the Pythons.

But today my Buddy stopped in the dealership (He has an 06 Dyna, and bought the same exact setup for his bike) and was told that HD doesn't make a flash for the SE II's (for niether of our bikes), and that if you use these, it can void your warranty.

I realize that his bike has the O2 sensor closed loop system, and that there are problems with the bike running lean. I was suprised to hear that there was not a flash for my bike though.

I do NOT want to void my warranty, and the service manager told me I would be fine with the SE II's. My question to you guys is, if I go with the EFI stage 1 (air cleaner) and the SE II slip-ons, am I going to have problems? (running lean?? too hot, etc) Would like to hear from someone with an 06 Heritage Classic.

Thanks
Gator

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Partial answer

Gator,

I had the "Screamin' Eagle®Stage I Kit for EFI Models" (p/n 29773-02B) done, without changing the pipes, before the bike was picked up. Reading the text in the H-D catalog, it says, "This kit includes air cleaner, breather, and all required hardware. Street legal when used with stock mufflers."

It also says, "Requires ECM Calibration."

This indicates (to me) a couple of things. First, the kit does require a re-map (if you have a fuel-injected model); ergo, there must be one. And in fact, I had it done with the Stage 1.

Doing the Stage 1 without changing the pipes should give a tiny increase in torque, and also cause the bike to run a little rich (according to my service manager).

A week later, I changed the pipes to SE Torques, because they look identical to stock and are also a bit quieter than SE II Pro's. At that time, the service manager said they would absolutely not void the warranty. (By the way, you have to look in the racing catalog to find the Torque mufflers.)

I hope this clarifies things a bit. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone more knowledgeable than I am will jump in and save us from my ignorance :laugh:

Philip

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought my 06' Heritage classic in september. i had the dealer do the stage 1 air cleaner..SEII Pro slip on's... and they re-flashed the efi.
I asked the owner if my warranty is still good, and he said as long as they did the work..no problem. i have about 700 miles on the bike , and it runs great.
no pinging, no decell popping. i'm thinking about drilling out the holes in the baffles, or pulling them out, and putting thunder monsters in the header pipes.
it sounds good as it is , but i'd like it to be just a little louder, and deeper sounding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SE torque slip ons

brownjams said:
I have a 03' FLSTCI and have the SE torque slip on mufflers and like them. they aren't as loud as the SE IIs. I had cycle shack exhaust but changed to these because the cycle shacks were too loud for my taste. the torque slip ons have some bark to them but not irratating loud.

good luck and ride safe.
I am also considering SE IIs but after hearing of your SE torque slip ons I'm having second thoughts. I've never heard of or seen these pipes. Where can I get more info and a pic. Thanks Ken

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
catken said:
I am also considering SE IIs but after hearing of your SE torque slip ons I'm having second thoughts. I've never heard of or seen these pipes. Where can I get more info and a pic. Thanks Ken
You can find them in the Harley Screamin Eagle catalog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
pipes

I installed screamin eagle slash down slip ons on my uncle's 05 heritage. Great sound with baffles in, fantastic sound with baffles out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 06 heritage softail EFI. Just purchased for install at the dealer next week stage 1 kit which includes the SE air box. I was told dealer can no longer get download for this setup if I add the SE slip on exhaust. He said the only download he can get from harley is for the stage one with stock pipes. He told me the download will probabably work just fine with the SE exhaust however it could run lean ie hot. after lots of debate and with the blessing of the dealer service manager i went with the stage one air box and download for this setup which will be for stock mufflers, however, i decided to add the SE exhaust. this means i purchased the download for the stock mufflers but I will have SE on the bike. My question is whether anyone else has already done this and how will it work?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 06 FLSTCI Screamin Eagle Pro II Exhaust.. Screamin Eagle Air cleaner...And a Dealer installed Harley download... Just 0ver 500 miles no ping. minimal if any decel popping. Sounds great when just cruising (mello).. Really Rocks when throttling down on it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1 to10 scale

brownjams said:

good luck and ride safe.
Brownjams On a 1 to 10 scale 1 being stock an 10 being drag pipes, where would you put the torques. Im looking for a little rumble without that earth shaking sound. Ken

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
catken said:
Brownjams On a 1 to 10 scale 1 being stock an 10 being drag pipes, where would you put the torques. Im looking for a little rumble without that earth shaking sound. Ken
I would put them at a 3-4 on that scale. I think the cycle shacks I had would be around 8. I think you'll like them in what your looking for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for tour reply Ken

brownjams said:
I would put them at a 3-4 on that scale. I think the cycle shacks I had would be around 8. I think you'll like them in what your looking for.
Thanks for your reply Ken

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.