V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I've been using, and shame on me :hmmm: , Mobil 1 15w50, but when I visited the dealership yesterday, the guy at the parts counter recommended SE Synth. I think he said I can use it for the engine, chaincase, and transmission. Is this true, I can use it for everything, meaning the transmission too?

Also, what do you guys think of this stuff? Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You are supposed to be able to use it in all three holes. Guess that should be fine. I don't see a problem with Mobil 1 15-50 I use this. I also use Mobil 1 20-50. I won't use the SE oil. The SE stuff is actually a semi-synthetic. Not 100% like the Mobil 1

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I always used Mobil 1 20w50 for the engine, so this is my first time with the SE stuff. It was cool to be able to use one oil for all three, but I guess you were doing that with M1.

The point of this thread was that I didn't know if I could use SE oil for the tranny too. I didn't want to make a mistake.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I also did research on this. Both Amsoil and Mobile 1 are better for the scoot. Although you will get arguements from the MoCo. "special additives for the seals". Are these special seals only used in Harleys? I'm using the mobile 1 and it is good for all 3 holes.

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sblair, I didn't know you could use M1 for all three. I'll probably go back to it. Why throw money away?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Synthethic

Just had the 10K done on my DWG and put the SE synthetic in. Yes, it is formulated for all three holes. The main reason I changed from the regular oil is that the synthetic makes the engine run cooler- a valid concern here in the deep south.

Re Mobil 1 or other oils, my understanding is that bike engines run hotter than auto engines and oil formulated for autos will burn. Perhaps that is just for regular oil and not synthetics like Mobil-1. I have not tried to research this- just passing it along for what it's worth. Our chief local HD mechanic used to build performance bikes for a custom shop and is pretty good about recommending the best performance choices- regardless of the brand. In other words, he's not stuck on always promoting HD products.

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GuyIII, something to think about.

I remember around 2000, a couple years after I bought my scoot, I told one of the Harley techs that I had started using synthetic oil in my bike. He then started chewing me out and threatened to void my warranty, and that pissed me off so much I haven't been back since for service (doing it myself now). Now, some new Harleys come out of the factory with synthetic. I knew I was doing the right thing, and I knew it at the time too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I switched my '95 Superglide to synthetic when I bought it in '04. Since I've been using Royal Purple synthetic in my vehicles for years, I talked to the manager where I buy my oil about RP synthetic in my bike. He couldn't answer all my questions so he gave me a 1-800 number for tech support at RP. I talked to an engineer there, he said a lot of Harley-Davidson owners had been using RP 20W50 in all 3 holes for a long time and no problems. He recommended I use 20W50 in engine and primary and RP 90W140 synthetic gear lube in the trans. The latter choice is what I went with and all is well. Trans shifts better than it did with dyno and neutral is easier to find. One other note, he said a lot of companies, including RP, were coming out with a synthetic oil that is formulated for motorcycles. He said this is all hype, the difference is for marketing only, the oil for autos is just as good for motorcycles and a lot cheaper. Higher price was to pay for the extra hype. :)
Now to this year, RP price has jumped to almost $7 a qt. for synthetic. The reason I've gotten is that the price of oil has gone up, stupid. Well, I thought synthetic didn't have any dyno oil but was all man-made stuff. Anyway, I'm switching to Mobil 1 on the next changes in all my vehicles as due to the research I've done, it's as good as RP and cheaper as well.
HTH, Dave

·
Registered
792 Posts
GuyIII said:
my understanding is that bike engines run hotter than auto engines and oil formulated for autos will burn. Perhaps that is just for regular oil and not synthetics like Mobil-1. I have not tried to research this- just passing it along for what it's worth.
fair enough - but you are mistaken when you assume that the Mobil 1 is an auto oil.
The 20W-50 VTwin was formulated for air-cooled, v-twin motorcycles, as were the AMSoil equivalents. The Mobil 1 15W-50 is a car oil but, as you suspected, synthetics are much more tolerant of heat than dino oils...so your HD SYN3 oil will be less prone to heat deterioration than any dino oil, but not necessarily better than any other syn out there, even car oils...

Using a given oil in all three holes is fine, you just need to be aware of the friction modifiers (moly is the primary one currently) so you don't crap up your clutch plates. You can compare additive packages of the Mobil or AMSOil and HD oils (and pretty much any other you can think of) over in the bobistheoilguy Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) Library.

btw, I have nothing against the SYN3, it's a perfectly fine Type-III synthetic made by CITGO (last I heard). Nothing magic, but nothing wrong either.

This is discussed ad-nausem over in the Oil forum

·
Registered
792 Posts
davidj92 said:
Now to this year, RP price has jumped to almost $7 a qt. for synthetic ... Anyway, I'm switching to Mobil 1 on the next changes in all my vehicles as due to the research I've done, it's as good as RP and cheaper as well.
If you're switching to a Mobil 1 syn that's cheaper than $7/qt you're obviously not switching to the 20W-50 VTwin stuff! I assume that you're referring to the (much cheaper, esp by the 5-qt jug) 15W-50, yes?

·
Registered
792 Posts
johsch53 said:
Mobile 1 20-50 VTF is formulated for all three holes. The other Mobile 1 oils aren't.
that may very well be, but the VOAs (below) show no great difference between the 15W-50 and the 20W-50...if anything the lower moly in the EP will make clutch somewhat happier...

however, IMHO, using the same oil in all three is just lazy. Each application has it's own unique requirements, and a "one size fits all" solution is at best a compromise. After reading, reading, arguing, reading, I went with:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
gdkenoyer said:
that may very well be, but the VOAs (below) show no great difference between the 15W-50 and the 20W-50...if anything the lower moly in the EP will make clutch somewhat happier...

however, IMHO, using the same oil in all three is just lazy. Each application has it's own unique requirements, and a "one size fits all" solution is at best a compromise. After reading, reading, arguing, reading, I went with:
Just call me lazy. I use Mobile 1 20-50 VTF in all three.:duh?:

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good feedback fellas, I appreciate it considering (as I found out after posting this) that this topic has been beaten to death. :beatdh:

I'm glad to know that it is possible to pretty much use what ya got whether M1 or SE Synth, etc., in all three.

Anyway, thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts