V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with these who would like to share their comments?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would go with the Cycle Shack slip ons rather than S.E. They are quite a bit cheaper,louder,and look just as good. I got mine through Dennis Kirk.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SE Slip Ons

Were your SEII Slip Ons the Competition version, or the regular ones? It seems there are two versions, one that is street legal, the other says for competition only (I assume this one is much louder).

·
Registered
205 Posts
The SE slipons are pretty much repackaged stock mufflers, the SEII are the louder ones, which are designated as the competition mufflers in the HD catalog. As far as them being not loud enough for me, I guess it is a matter of personal taste. Some people think that they just sound fine and thats OK. A couple of weeks ago I rode with a guy who had the twin of my scooter, only he did Vance and Hines straight shots. They look fantastic and the sound was very appealing to me. They just sounded like a Harley should, IMHO.:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you saw the dyno numbers with V&H straight shots compared to slip ons,you would not like them.By doing away with the crossover pipe your torque curve will not be near as broad.I agree they look great and sound good,but you will sacrifice some performance with them.Just my .02 cents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Screamin Eagle makes some cool stuff.. but I think it is mostly an attempt for HD to get more of your money with products that can be purchased elsewhere for less money.

The SE pipes I've seen on bikes were always there temporarily.. My advice :rolleyes: continue to do what you are doing...RESEARCH and SHOP.. look around and you'll probably save yourself one step and buy better the first time.

Hope I don't sound to cynical... Good Luck

Ape

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SE Slipons

I think it depends on which SE you get. The "competiton only" ones are very different than the normal SE mufflers. Of course I have a touring bike and the mufflers for those may be different.

My "competion only" or the performance slip on mufflers are more than loud enough for me (too loud for my lovely wife and neighbors sometimes). The have a deep growl to them when at low rpm and really rip when you roll on the throttle.

All that is nice, but I really got them to go along with the Stage 1 1450 upgrade and remapping of my EFI to give me a boost in horsepower and torque, and that it did indeed. No comparison between my bike before and after these mods.

I understand there are louder mufflers (V&H come to mind), but for my tastes these are plently loud enough (please note that the normal SE mufflers - the touring muffler upgrade - is not much louder than the stock ones, but these are very different).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Put the SE-2's on mine also. A nice low-end rush and the sound is way better than the stock muffs. My question is on the V/H pipes. All indicators show the sraightshots to be a big improvement and no loss of grunt but Bub indicates otherwise. Whats the scoop? I expect Santa to have a set of these under the tree.

·
Registered
12 Posts
CS slip on's

I just put the cycle shack slash cut slip on mufflers on my sport. (Try saying that real fast) They only cost $200 CDN and look great. They made a noticeable difference in low end torque and man do they sound good. Might get in trouble with the neighbors now though:)

Ride safe

·
Registered
205 Posts
Only if you change out your stock air box to a high flow. I popped of the aluminum plug that covers the air/fuel mixture screw and backed it out a little, adjusted the idle, and it runs great, plugs look fine. May even be a little rich right now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I first switched to the Cycle Shack slip ons I did what GlennM did.I just popped off the plug and adjusted the idle mixture out about 2.5 turns. Ran fine.Then switched to S.E. air filter kit and added Yost power tube.Big difference in power but mileage went south.
Later!! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
EFI

I think I read your post correctly that you have EFI, so adjusting idle screws and accel pumps wont be necessary. You will need to upgrade the chip to a stage I or II, if you haven't done it yet, skip the stage i chip and have the stage II done, all it will do is save you $200 if you upgrade in the future, you'll be able to put on better flowing pipes like V&H if you want, and you can put in a cam or big bore without having to reburn the ecu chip.

Putting on the stage I chip, air filter and pipes is the biggest HP per 4 bang you'll get and is a great move.

The SE pipes IMHO are not noisy enough but do get louder with use. If you look inside they have a very small opening at the rear for such a heavy thick muffler.

V&H Classics are a better choice for performance minded individuals, Hooker Tuneable as well, quiet off the throttle and rock when you get on it.

Most I know with SE take them off after a year as they just need more sound and performance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with the others on the Cycle Shack slip-ons. Great sound & looks.
At $104 a set from Dennis Kirk.com they're about $100 cheaper than the SE pipes & sound MUCH better.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
SAMSON

I ran Samsons on my RK and they are definately louder than stock. THey have baffles within which produces a nice clean loud roar on acceleration and nice quiet whisper at idle.

I wanted to wake the neighbors so I went with the V/H after 4 mos of Samson usage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How do you like the VH pipes? Did you just change the mufflers or the entire exhaust system? Also, did you have to re-jet your carb, or do you have FI?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man, you guys are a wealth of information! I should have my new Cycle Shack bologna cuts delivered next week. You guys really think that as long as I keep the stock air filter assembly I will probably just need to open the mixture screw a little? Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts