V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my SE road king today and after driving it 50 miles some questions developed.

This is the first fuel injected bike I've owned and I was wondering if any of you have some do's and don'ts concerning the fuel injected bike. I was stuck in traffic today for a while and when the bike got nice and hot I had it stall out a couple of times sitting at a light. Seems like the idle is really low. Is this common on fuel injected models or could there be something screwy going on?

Second thing I realized after driving if for a bit is it's way too quiet! Sounds like a friggin blender. In some of the other threads I've read that certain pipes don't like the EFI. Do you think if I stick to V&H or Samsons I'll be okay?

TIA for answers to my newbie questions! BTW I love the way this site was put together. Totally top notch!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The idle speed is supposed to be 1000 rpm +or- 50. Just mentioned something along these lines on another thread in this section. The EFI bikes without a cam sensor (like yours) tend not to like low rpm's. When my 02 was new it did the same a few times and either I adapted to the bike or the bike started doing it to a lesser degree, but it would follow that if the bike is idling below spec it would really show this symphtom.
Problem is, you need dealer equipment to adjust it properly.

It is a fact that EFI bikes in general, and the 02 FLT's in particular do not like some pipes. I'm not a good guy to ask about Samsons as my dislike for them goes way back, but I can tell you these bikes just plain love the disk pipes like the Supertrapp and "E" pipe.
Supertrapp is supposed to have new slip-on's with internal disks. I have not tried them yet, but everyone that has used them on the 02 EFI FLT's has positive comments.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Forgot that on the SE you have the little tach. I would not trust it too much, at least in the lower ranges. If it is like the tach's on the faired bikes, they seem to read 1100 or 1200 rpm when the idle is adjusted to spec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hippo, that answered all my questions....I guess I'll give the bike some time to see if the idle thing was just fluky or not. Just got back from putting another 50 miles on and it didn't have any probs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts