V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kinda numbers can I expect from this combination.
1550 kit and
forged pistons
SE pro 103 heads with the 2.080 intake and 1.623 exhaust
SERT
stock head pipes with slip on from V&H or SE.
SE AC
Think MegaGlide has simular build.
Reasoning is I could buy the SE heads for a couple hundred more
than getting porting done. Just thinking outloud.
whatda ya think???

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
????? The reasoning for buying them is because they are more expensive than custom ported heads?? Don't get where you are coming from. Valve sizes are too large for a 103, never mind a 95.
A good porter will outdo a set of manufactured heads everytime. And they will be able to set up the heads for YOUR combo. There is no benefit to having a 2" intake and 1.623 exhaust for the 37. You will lose TQ and have a lazy bottom end. And you may have trouble developing a good scavenge on the top end.

You asked what I thought........here it is. Just because it has SE stamped on it doesn't necessarily make it worth spending MORE money on.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
GRock said:
????? The reasoning for buying them is because they are more expensive than custom ported heads?? Don't get where you are coming from. Valve sizes are too large for a 103, never mind a 95.
A good porter will outdo a set of manufactured heads everytime. And they will be able to set up the heads for YOUR combo. There is no benefit to having a 2" intake and 1.623 exhaust for the 37. You will lose TQ and have a lazy bottom end. And you may have trouble developing a good scavenge on the top end.

You asked what I thought........here it is. Just because it has SE stamped on it doesn't necessarily make it worth spending MORE money on.

i agree 100%

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GRock said:

Thankyou. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Guess I was dozing off for a few minutes. You have helped me make up my mind.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
BTW - I believe that Mega has the standard SE Performance Heads. Whole different animal and work pretty well with the 37.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hello GRock.....................great to hear you got 120tq/107hp with Deweys heads on a 98" build with the woods TW6HG Cam.:woohoo:

Excellent........................I always believed a 98" build would go there!!!!!!!!

Merry Xmas Grock.................................Ozzie

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Bump this up....

Red02FXST said:
what kinda numbers can I expect from this combination.
1550 kit and
forged pistons
SE pro 103 heads with the 2.080 intake and 1.623 exhaust
SERT
stock head pipes with slip on from V&H or SE.
SE AC
Think MegaGlide has simular build.
Reasoning is I could buy the SE heads for a couple hundred more
than getting porting done. Just thinking outloud.
whatda ya think???
Just like to revive this thread because the original question is along the same train of thought as me, but different heads.......

I am thinking SE Pro Performance Heads 16953-99C to keep costs down; does the following make sense?

Getting your heads done by a local or even interstate porter seems a fairly easy excercise if you live in the USA, however about the only way I could get heads ported to suit would be to get them off EBAY, sent to a porter, then shipped overseas. So cost wise, I reckon about $200 - $220 for heads, say $20 USA shipping, then another $300 for porting, already up to around $540 ish without any valve work and all an unknown quantity / quality.

With the SE Pro Heads at $573 complete with valves, it seems to me that would be the way to go, being a known quality, opinions?

May as well throw out what else I thinking about at this point, and get some thoughts on this combination, especially looking for low end torque / all round rideability -

SE Pro Performance Heads
TW-5G cam
Revperf 98" cylinders
SE Roller Rockers
SE Forged Rocker Supports ???
Cometic 0.30 gasket
Baisley spring
SERT for tuning

Have
SE 16 Gauge Double Barrel exhaust w/ Thunder Monster baffles
Stage 1 Air Cleaner & download

An estimate of compression ratio? Is this a workable combination? What else is required / recommended?

Can stock push rods be used? How about perfect fit rods? Anyone with a similar build?

Thanks, a great forum, John :cheers:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You are flirting with about 10.3 compression ratio with the 78cc chambers, 98", and .030 gasket (assuming flattops). You may want to go with the .040 Cometics. Solid combo, but if you have some one set up your valve train geometry on the money, you can save a few dollars by skipping the supports.

Get that thing tuned right and you will be smiling....... a lot!

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies, guys,

GRock said:
You are flirting with about 10.3 compression ratio with the 78cc chambers, 98", and .030 gasket (assuming flattops). You may want to go with the .040 Cometics. Solid combo, but if you have some one set up your valve train geometry on the money, you can save a few dollars by skipping the supports.

Get that thing tuned right and you will be smiling....... a lot!
Thanks for all the advice - no comments on my thoughts about costs, so I'll take that as agreement? ;)

Yes, the pistons, I was in a bit of a hurry last night and didn't mention them, didn't have time to check http://www.revperf.com/twin.aspx?action=pistonKits
Perhaps HD Wrench will chime in with a recommendation for this set up; I expect the flat tops will be the way to go however.

I will be getting my list into shape soon and start ordering stuff, hey it is 2006 already, warranty runs out in May and almost to hot to ride in July & August so that is when I plan to build it - pretty much the opposite of you guys doing your winter builds now :wavey:

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
claydbal said:
i agree 100%
I agree 200%...those ports are way too big unless you are going to run 120-131".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts